• Lesson 1 •

As soon as he stepped through my cell door my blood seemed to run cold. My hands grew clammy and I had to even my breathing to try and appear somewhat unbothered. I clenched my jaw hoping it would give me some form of relief from the bubbling pit of anxiety that was developing in my stomach. I knew where I recognised Craig from now. He was one of the men that had taken me whilst I was separated from the group; before Alexandria.

"Stand on watch," David told Craig as he knelt in front of me from my seated position on the floor.

I caught sight of the shining blade he held in his hand and looked back into his eyes. They were extremely dark, nearly black as his pupils took up most of the brown that was there. They were wide open, they seemed unnatural. As if he were forcing them to be that sinister but yet he never faltered.

"Aren't you happy to see me?" he asked and I glared at him. "Oh, come on princess. Smile."

He grabbed the hair at the back of my head and pulled, forcing me to look up at him better. He brought the blade up and pressed it against my bottom lip. He pressed down, the tip of the blade drawing blood on my bottom lip but I held my expression the same. He would not get any reaction out of me and I promised myself that. With his hand still pulling my hair to make me look up at me, I felt his hand begin to move under my sweatshirt. I kept myself still, hoping that whatever he was doing what be over soon.

Craig looked uncomfortable and turned around. I saw he had a key clipped to his belt and so I began to scan David. The same key as Craig was clipped to his belt. It must've been to my room, or cell. Both words seemed to fit. His hand gripped the skin of my waist tightly and he let go of my hair to put the knife to my face. His hand stayed firmly on my waist, his eyes trained on my neck for a reason unknown to me. Slowly, and as carefully and gently as I could, I wrapped my fingers around the leg but he moved making it slip out of my grasp.

A burning pain spread across my body as I felt the sharp blade slowly cut from the corner of my mouth and up my cheek. I nearly lost sight of my original plan just from the torture of him trying the fix the line he had made, as if the cuts he were making were an art piece of his. I forced back the tears, replacing my face of pain and fear with the emotionless stare I usually accompanied in these situations, and managed to take the key and slip it into my sleeve.

"It's a shame you'll always be smiling for me now."

He got up, pushing me back, and I felt the blood trickle down my cheeks to my chin and jawline. Craig tossed me a small handheld mirror and locked the door behind them.

"So long, Amelia."

I stared at the floor, not daring to pick up the mirror from the floor. A few droplets of blood made their way to the floor, a quiet dripping noise being made for each droplet. The pain was growing more intense.

The curiosity got the better of me, and I picked up the mirror. My eyes welled up with tears at my new appearance. He was right that I'd now always be smiling. He'd cut my face in a way that made it look like I was smiling. A bleeding smile. They were deep cuts, not deep enough to go all the way through my cheeks but enough for me to see the darkness of the blood that pooled there. The only way I could relieve even the slightest of pain was to not move my face at all.

I needed to get me and Daryl out of hers. I smashed the mirror against the wall, watching the glass shards fall to the floor in a scattered pile. I found the biggest, sharpest one and picked it up. I used it to cut the bottoms of my joggers, making them a suitable length and used one of the rags to wrap around the bottom of the shard and the other to gently dab away some of the blood on my face. It stung; massively.

I unlocked the door with the key and peeked through the doors to find Daryl. I saw him, curled up in the corner of his cell. I could see the same polaroid picture on the floor in front of him, only his looked to be of Glenn. His eyes were glued to it.

I tried the lock, only my key didn't seem to fit his lock.

"Fuck," I cursed and cursed myself internally for even speaking and causing myself more pain.

Daryl looked up at me and shock was the only expression I could see from his face.

"What did they do to you..?" He asked and my eyes filled with tears.

I didn't answer, I couldn't. The pain was too much and a tear slipped from my eye, stinging the cuts even more. I passed the key through the bar, listening to it clatter on the floor. Even if it didn't fit his door, he could try sharpen it with the wall and make a weapon.

"I'll be back."

I didn't listen to anything he had to say as I quietly made my way down the corridor. I dipped behind doors when I'd see the random person. I peeked around the corner seeing it empty and quickly snook down the hall. My eyes widened when I heard footsteps approaching. I jumped in a random room, closing the door behind me. It was dark, and very small.

"Check every room, the girl got out."

I looked around the room quickly. I needed a place to hide. Another door was on the other side of the room so I made my way to it. There was no way to see what was on the other side and so I just went through. It led to another room, very similar to this one, with a door on the right wall. I went through that one, which led onto the same hallway as before.

I ran quietly down the hall, but ended up sprinting after hearing someone shout after me. With my glass shard in hand I barrelled through a door, only to be met by a lot of women in black dresses and Negan. I grabbed the closest woman and pressed the shard to her neck. Hopefully Negan cared about these people.

"Well aren't you a little sight for sore eyes."

——————
author's note
sorry this update took so long, had an exam today so haven't had a lot of time lol but big plans for this story and i actually have a few other stories in the making so stay tuned 😏