• Bury A Friend •

Trigger warning this chapter for abuse

I hadn't spoke on the ride home from Grady Memorial. I didn't know what to talk about, no matter how many times someone tried to start a conversation with me. It was my fault and I knew that. Dawn wanted to trade me for Noah and in doing so Beth stepped up. If I had just done something then maybe Beth would still be here and I didn't know how I would be able to live with that, especially when I saw how distraught people were over Beth's death.

How was I worth any more? I wanted to be angry at Beth to make myself feel better but she was trying to save us, so how could I? I was conflicted as I pushed Tyreese away when we got to the church. Carl was quick to run and see us but stopped in his tracks when he saw Daryl bring Beth out.

"Amelia, wait-," Tyreese tried to call out to me as I forced myself to walk despite the pain I continued to feel.

I could feel more blood soaking onto my fingers while I made my way to the church. I didn't turn around, walking into the church to find Dad. He hadn't been there when I got out and I couldn't find him now. I don't know what I was expecting, he had always told me that no matter what happened that if I got myself into shit it was my job to get myself out of it. I allowed someone to help me and now they were dead.

"Dad?" I called out, walking into the church to see him sat down on one of the benches.

He didn't turn around, staring straight ahead as I slowly approached him. I could see Gabriel stood not far from him, looking petrified. His eyes met mine and I felt uncomfortable with the amount of emotion he held in them. Did he not know what happens when you show how you feel? Idiot.

I limped forward, holding my stomach. I was positive that any stitches I had been given had been ripped due to the fact I continued to bleed. I was surprised I was still standing in honesty.

I stood over Dad, looking down at him. He held a gun in his hand, his head down and I panicked knowing where this was going. I glanced back at Gabriel.

"Leave."

He hesitated, looking at me cautiously before hurriedly leaving and closing the door. I could hear him talking to someone though his words were muffled and I prayed that no one would come in.

I looked at Dad, before hurrying to the door and blocking it off the best I could. I used a wood plank that lay discarded on the floor and tried to close it the best I could just incase anyone tried coming in.

When I turned back around Dad was in the same place as before, only he had his head twisted to look at me. His face was blank like how he taught me to keep mine and I walked towards him. I wanted to keep calm and try not to panic but I was scared. I didn't even know if he could tell but by the look on his face he couldn't.

"They shouldn't of went back for you."

I kept quiet, as he turned away, looking directly ahead of him. He stood up, the gun in hand and pointed it at me and my heart leapt. I knew he would be pissed at me for ending up at the hospital, but I didn't know it would be this bad.

"Was this what you wanted? Or is this more your taste?" He flipped the gun on himself, pointing it at his temple as he backed away from me, never breaking eye contact.

I shook my head 'no' and he tossed the gun to the side, it clattering on the floor and sliding next to a pew.

"Everything I've ever taught you, you seem to be forgetting. You got yourself kidnapped and then you expect us to come running?" His anger was rising and I could tell by the way his breathing became unsteady.

"I was going to get myself out."

Now that I thought about it, I didn't know if they would of came back for me. I hadn't been with them long but they were always nice to me. Maybe they hadn't even known I was there, and only came back for Beth but then saw me. I didn't know and it was killing me inside.

"Yeah. And look at what a fucking great job you did."

I blinked, somehow thinking that the action would rid the feeling of hurt that I didn't want to have to feel. He took his belt off with ease, not like how he used to when he would fumble and fiddle with the clasp. He held his hand out for me to give him my arm and I did, clenching my jaw as I knew the pain that was bound to come.

He let go of my hand, leaving me to keep it lifted for him as he readied himself. I hated this. The sound of the cracks and the searing pain of the contact it would make across the delicate skin of my inner arm.

The doors began to shake, someone trying to get in and I could here Daryl shouting through the door.

"Amelia! What's going on in there?" I didn't speak, scared that if I was to open my mouth that I'd express the amount of pain that I was in.

For each swing of the belt he would make I would stare at my arm and watch the bruises form. Every so often one of the hits would result in me bleeding, making gashes every so often. I held my breath as he panted, finally done as he wiped his belt on the top of my arm, smearing the blood on my rolled up sleeve.

The door continues to rattle, and I gritted my teeth as I pulled my sleeve down over the bruises and cuts.

"Get out of my sight."

I nodded, and walked to the door. When I looked back, Dad was walking into one of the back rooms, his gun discarded on the floor.
I ignored it, pulling the wood out of its place and opened the door. Daryl paused from his position of seemingly being ready to barge the door.

I held my arms away from my sides, to stop them from pressing against my sides and causing me more pain than I was already in. I didn't want to live like this. I wanted to be able to be happy and for Dad to love me again. It felt like he hated me now, ever since we weren't able to get to Mom.

"The hell was the door locked for?"

I knew my face was blank but I felt as though he could see right through me. Daryl seemed to notice things a lot quicker than the others and that terrified me.

"I just wanted to be alone."

He stared at me and I saw Carl looking at us from behind Daryl. He looked worried as did quite a few people of the group who I hadn't noticed had even been looking.

"You can't pull shit like that. What if we needed to get in?"

"I'm sorry." I could feel my face falling, and I couldn't stand the thought of having to be hit again.

He walked away and my head dropped for a moment. I didn't know why I felt ashamed. I thought that by locking the door that it would keep the others safe if Dad was to do what he did with the last group we were with, but instead I put them in more danger.