• Rooftop Views •

I didn't bother trying to learn everyone's names here as I didn't plan on staying. I knew Dawn, and Gorman who I despised with my whole being. There was Shepherd, who I didn't mind too much as she didn't bother me, but when I found out that she was one of the ones who had brought me here my feelings for her changed.

I could see her down the hall, stood outside of the clothes room where Noah worked. She saw me and gave a forced smile from across the corridor. I didn't smile back, and just turned to walk away. Dawn stood before me, right where I planned on walking.

"Follow me. I've got a job for you."

I followed her, where she led me to a staircase that blocked the way down but had no barricade blocking the way up. She led me up the stairs, checking behind her every so often to check I was still there. There was a fire exit door that she lead me out of, and we walked out onto the roof. I was never one for heights, so the view of the city from here made my heart race.

The city was burnt down, some buildings collapsed and some seemed to have survived the bombing that had happened at the start of the apocalypse.

"Afraid of heights?"

I peered over the edge, my heart leaping and my hands going clammy.

"No."

"Good." She had an almost smugness in her voice, as she chucked me a pair of binoculars.

I caught them easily, however I feared that me catching them would've knocked me over the edge no matter how light they were. I stepped away from the edge, as I watched her watch me.

"I'm sending some officers out soon to check the city. We normally have some scouting around the city but they haven't returned yet. I want you to keep look out for the officers I send and the officers returning."

I nodded hesitantly, wondering why she trusted me whom she'd known for a few days over people like Beth and Noah, who I had no idea for how long they had been here. Not to mention the fact I had attacked one of her officers on my first day.

"When I can see you aren't going to try anything, you'll get a radio."

I resisted the urge to crumple up my face in confusion.

"If you have radios why haven't you just radioed your officers that haven't returned?"

She gave a lighthearted laugh, one of which I couldn't tell was meant to resemble sarcasm of some sort or just a laugh.

"We tried. We haven't had an answer."

"Oh."

We stood in silence for a moment, both of us just looking out at the city that once looked rather pretty. As pretty as a city could with all of the bustling and traffic.

"I'll send an officer up in a few hours to bring you food and check in. Don't mess this up. I don't give just anyone this job."

Once again, I resisted the urge to showcase my confusion and ask her why she chose me for the job. Instead I just nodded, holding the binoculars while she walked away.

I hoped that this wouldn't affect Beth's plan. I wondered how I would even talk to her now I was up here all day, and I also questioned how long I would be on this job. It was early morning now, and if an officer was going to be bringing me food then I guessed I would be at this all day.

——————

Watching the city was boring. I could normally stand and do something for hours but this was beyond irritating. I could see walkers aimlessly wandering around the streets. My arms were aching from holding the binoculars for so long but I kept looking anyways. I didn't plan on telling Dawn anything that could help her, I simply just wanted to find something worth looking at to keep me entertained.