• Distant Memories •

The beeping of low fuel practically sent me over the edge as I banged my forehead on the wheel in frustration. I still had no idea how to properly drive, instead staying in the same gear the entire time and skidding around corners, praying the noise wouldn't attract unnecessary attention from both the dead and alive.

I looked to the empty seat beside me tiredly, my belt discarded on it from when I had hurried inside to avoid inevitable death. Part of me wished Dad was here. He would tell me he was proud for taking care of myself, probably beat me for getting in to the situation and leaving the man alive, but I also wouldn't be alone. I'd have some form of guidance; company.

As I stared at the seat, I felt my eyelids grow heavy, but weakly opened my eyes when I heard the door open and someone get in. It was mom. She wore the familiar orange jumpsuit, her blonde hair now in a very messy braid and blood smeared across her forehead as if she had wiped it off her face previously. She looked back at me, a sad smile on her face as her hand reached out and caressed my face.

"I told you they only hurt you," her voice didn't sound how I remembered it.

It sounded like my own voice, and when I blinked she was gone, and I was simply saying those words myself. God, I must be going crazy. I couldn't remember the last time I had ate, never mind drank, and my head pulsed agonisingly. I reached over for the belt that lay discarded on the seat and rested my forehead on the steering wheel and simply held the black leather in my lap.

It was freezing, and I hugged my arms to myself to try and conserve any heat that I could. I saw a walker walking towards the car, and groaned. I wouldn't be able to just leave it, eventually it would draw more and I'd have a bigger problem on my hands. With no weapons, I clutched the belt and got out the car. My legs were shaky and I grabbed each end of the belt tightly. It was a fairly new walker, and my eyes were drawn to the thick green jacket that hung over its shoulders.

With a sigh of encouragement to myself, I waited till it got closer before making my move. Somehow, I was going to have to knock it down and then kill it. It drew closer, and my anticipation grew stronger. I could do this. I felt dizzy, whether it was from my dehydration or just plain sickness, I didn't know. I stumbled, and before I could even steady myself the walker was on me, reaching its arms out to try and grab me. I used my belt almost like a barricade against the walkers neck, as it tried to push through.

I noticed a slash across its neck, exposing the bone, and the idea struck me. I used the belt like a rope and swapped hands to cross the ends behind it's neck. I grunted and screwed up my face as I pulled as hard as I could. It seemed like a routine I now had of strangling things with my belt. I pulled and pulled and with my last energy, I yanked it harder. The belt went straight again. It's head and body fell and blood sprayed my face. I had decapitated it.

The snapping of its jaw on the floor drew my attention and I gently nudged the back of its head with my foot away from its body. I withheld a gag as I took the jacket from off its body exposing it's worn t-shirt underneath. I pulled it on and got back in the car.

I heard a tap on the back window of the cab, and turned my head tiredly to see Beth. I must've fell asleep again. She waved at me through the cab window and I squeezed my eyes shut. Beth was dead. But then the door opened and Dad crouched in front of me, holding his hand to my forehead, which still lay down on the wheel.

"Dad?" My voice is hoarse and I see his legs, intact.

"Daryl! I got her!" Dad shouted, only it wasn't his voice, it was Glenn's.

Reaching up, my hand held his, which was moving my hair from my face. I moved his hand away, as he moved to the side anyway. Dad was gone now, Daryl now kneeling down.