• A Toast •

When everyone had settled everyone had seated themselves on the floor and were feasting on the food that Gabriel had stocked. I didn't trust him, but my thoughts are invalid as I'm merely a teenage girl.

I'd tried talking to Dad about it, but I was brushed off and told that if I thought I was any better than anyone in the group that I shouldn't be here. Of course, I didn't think I was better than anyone in the group, but at the time I thought it was worth telling them that I had a bad feeling about Gabriel.

It was easy to find myself caught in the moment of everyone's jokes and I found myself smiling at the awful jokes Abraham would make. I quite liked Abraham, he was blunt and had a good sense of humour. He didn't seem happy about staying here however, most likely due to the fact he was dead set on getting Eugene to Washington.

"Oh. My. God." Carl feigned shock, as everyone stopped laughing to look at him.

"What?" Rick finished his chuckle from Abraham's previous joke.

"Amelia laughed," Carl smiled, and I felt the smile on my face grow slightly, even though every part of me was telling me to stop.

"Didn't know you had it in you kid," Tyreese smiled, nudging his arm with mine as I laughed a little.

The night was good; everyone was happy and everything was going well, which only meant everything would go wrong soon enough but I was happy. Everyone calmed down a bit, having little conversations between themselves while I pondered on my thoughts.

I glanced to the side to see Carl sitting himself next to me, a box of crackers in hand. He smiled at me and I couldn't help but smile back, even though it felt illegal of me to do so.

"Thought I'd catch you while you're still in a good mood," Carl smiled, and I felt a slight annoyance at this small remark, but I let it slide as I swiped a cracker from his box.

"Oh shush," I popped the cracker into my mouth as he spoke to me animatedly about how he was overjoyed that the group was back together but how he also didn't fully trust Gabriel.

"I dunno. Guy like that isn't meant to survive yet here he is," I shrugged, popping another cracker into my mouth, as I looked to the side to Carl.

"Yeah, but he seems harmless. I don't know what it is about him but it just doesn't feel right," Carl revealed, and I wondered if he had told Rick this.

"We can handle him if it comes to it," I went to grab another cracker, but Carl's hand quickly stopped mine, holding it in place over the box.

"What do you mean by that?" He asked, seeming slightly agitated.

"What do you mean, 'what do I mean'? If we have to deal with him we can. We have more than enough people and more than enough skill," I pulled my hand out of his, as he scoffed, not happy with my answer but I couldn't bring it in myself to care.

"So you're saying if there is something up, we just kill him? We don't give him another chance?" Carl quipped, and I found myself laughing at his words.

"You said it, not me."

"You can't be serious," he raised his voice slightly and I felt myself flinch, but whether it was noticed or not I was unsure. Instead I grabbed a cracker and fiddled with it in my hand like a coin.

"Look, we can't risk second chances. First chances are risky enough," I defended, but he was quick to answer.

"We gave you and Hank a chance."

I felt myself freeze at my fathers name and I had no idea as to why, but I did. I didn't know my dad had even shared his name since he used to hide it so often whenever we'd run into other groups.

"Well maybe you shouldn't of."

He was quiet as we just stared at each other, analysing each other's expressions as well as we could. His face was like stone, dead set in place as he glared at me. Only it didn't feel like a glare, as he wasn't frowning or seemed angry at all. It was his eyes that threw me off. I could feel my confidence and bravery begin to fade at his gaze and half expected the beating that was due, but it didn't come. Instead he just looked at me, an almost curious gaze in his eyes.

I didn't let my appearance falter however as I squinted my eyes slightly in a way of trying to decipher him. However the booming voice of my father instantly made my jump, and my head shot up to look at him.

"What are you doing?" He almost growled.

I jumped up to my feet as I looked from my dad back to Carl who's gaze was now fixated solely on my father. His face had changed from the almost calm glare from before to a death glare.

"Nothing. I'm gonna go take watch," I spoke, leaving the room quickly and stepping into the cold night.

I never heard the door close behind me and this made me freeze, knowing exactly why it hadn't closed. There my father stood, and angered look covering his face as he stormed forwards, the door now closing as it no longer had him holding it.

I felt the contact with my cheek before I realised he had even raised his hand, and I stumbled backwards as he clenched and unclenched his fist. I didn't raise my hand to hold my face as I wished I could; instead I straightened up and stood toe-to-toe with him.

One thing I knew about my father was that as soon as I showed any signs of pain or emotion and I would regret it. So instead, I just looked up at him and waited for him to speak, praying that no one would have the sudden urge to leave the church walls and interrupt what was going on.

"I don't know what you think is going to happen while we're with these people but I wouldn't get your hopes up on staying."

I blinked, trying to keep my face straight as I tried to digest his words. What did he mean about not getting my hopes up on staying? They were with us now as we were with them.

His straight and determined expression was replaced of one that seemed to be excitement, and I ignored the bubbling pit of anxiety that was forming in my stomach. Just as quick as the excitement had came it had left, being replaced with an almost empty look.

"You got in a tussle with a walker," he informed me, and I visibly frowned in confusion, which he picked up on.

I quickly replaced my expression with one of understanding and nodded, to which he took a step back from our previous close and intimidating stance. He smiled at me, which threw me off guard, as he put his hand on my cheek, holding it and caressing it with his thumb. Despite the fear I usually had from him, I couldn't help the warm feeling I felt when he looked almost proud of me.

His brown hair appeared black due to the darkness, and his eyes also seemed darker, but it didn't scare me as much as it usually would. I could see that his cheeks were starting to hollow slightly, meaning that he hadn't been eating, something that was only ever an issue when we had to ration our food or when he just wasn't in the mood to eat.

"Don't be going soft on the boy."

His words confused me. Normally when he would instruct me on something it was a quick demand followed by a harsh look and it would be done with. But his hand remained on my cheek, gently running his finger over the tender skin that resided on my cheek bone. He was being gentle but his words weren't and it was throwing me off guard.

I remained silent, acknowledging his words but not knowing what to answer with. His eyes hardened, and I was quick with my answer, not wanting to ruin the moment that I was currently having with him.

"I won't."