• Rehabilitation •

A few days had passed since Carl woke up. With a groups effort, the wall had been fixed and even expanded to take in the church. We'd reinforced the walls with spikes around the perimeter in hopes of it defending our home better. We'd even made a farming plot.

Things were doing a lot better now. Me and Carl had spent a lot of time together, both of us a bit shaken from what happened. He'd explained to me how he thought I was dead or had turned and I explained what actually happened. We were both glad to be together again.

The only problem was Carl wasn't the same as before. He used to carry himself a lot taller, but now, he'd turn his chin down a bit and it was very obvious why. He wouldn't let me see his eye. More so the lack of one.

We were both sat on his bed, me by the end of the bed and him with his back to the wall. We were sat comfortably. I had my legs crisscrossed whilst he was fully laid against the wall.

"Your bandage is coming loose," I said quietly, as I pulled his comic from his hands to put on the bed.

He turned his head away and reached behind his head to pull the ends tighter. It didn't do much; in fact it made it worse. The bandage had now twisted and folded thinner, most definitely adding pressure to his injury.

"I can hel-,"

"No." His voice was quick and sharp.

I went silent, watching as he fiddled with the ends and unfolded the twists. I felt bad for even feeling remotely curious about how it looked. I couldn't help it though, my brain just couldn't fathom how he wouldn't want me to see. His face was already perfect, not a flaw to be seen. Even with this injury I couldn't tear my eyes away from his perfect chiselled cheeks or lips.

No matter how it looked, I was certain he wouldn't be any less attractive.

"You're staring," he said, and as I blinked back my thoughts, I noticed he'd finished with his bandage and was now reading again.

"You're pretty," I said without thinking, and instantly my cheeks flushed.

He smiled and I had to force myself from turning anymore red.

"Oh?" He said, laying his comic in his lap to turn his attention to me.

"Shut up," I mumbled, reaching to swipe the comic from his lap only for his hand to quickly stop me.

His fingers wrapped around my wrist gently and I looked up at him from my position. He pulled me gently to him and swapped us so that my head now laid on the pillow and he hovered above me, all whilst keeping his eyes locked with mine.

His hand rested on my waist whilst the other held my jaw. He lifted my chin to look at him and I let a shuddering breath escape my lips.

"Is this okay?" He whispered, leaning down close to my lips and my eyes watched as they moved whilst he spoke.

I nodded. I practically craved him at this point. I begged for his lips to land on mine yet I dared to be the one to do it. His lips softly grazed against mine and then moved past to my cheek. He planted a soft kiss to my cheek, and then closed his face across and down near my ear, planting another gentle kiss.

My hand made its way to his hair. I didn't realise how fast my breathing had came when his lips attached to my neck, kissing softly making me shudder beneath me.

"You're gorgeous," he mumbled against my skin.

My heart thumped harder in my chest. He came back to face me and I was sure my face was flushed just from how hot I felt. I felt completely vulnerable in this situation but in a way I hadn't felt before. In other times I had felt vulnerable, it was when I felt unsafe, yet I felt protected underneath him.

His lips connected with my forehead, and he sat up again. I sat up as well, already missing his touch. I scooted across the bed lifting my tank top strap back onto my shoulder after I realised it was sliding down.

His eyes lingered on my shoulder before he shrugged off his button up and brought it around me.

"Come on, let's see if Dad and Daryl are back," he said and I agreed, hopping off the bed and instantly grabbing his forearm and clenching my teeth. "It's still hurting?" He looked at my leg, which I wasn't putting my weight on now.

"No," I lied.

He rolled his eyes and wrapped his arm around my waist and lifting me slightly so he was holding my weight. I had to hide my cheeks when I felt them grow hot, dropping my head as I limped down the stairs.

We made our way outside, but there were no Daryl or Rick to be seen. Instead we saw Rosita and Tyreese both conversing quietly. When Tyreese saw me, his face lit up and he jogged over.

"Hi sweetheart, what're you doing outside?" He asked.

Since Denise had gave me disapproving looks after seeing me attempt to walk around, I'd stayed inside a lot. Carl had kept me company a lot. Abraham would come in every so often to say a very awful but funny joke and leave and I didn't see Daryl as much anymore.

"Have you seen Daryl or Rick?" I asked, shifting my weight so I was stood on my good leg to give Carl a bit of a rest.

"Oh, they're not back from their run yet. I was meaning to talk to you anyway. Carl, you mind?" Tyreese asked and Carl nodded.

"You need me just shout," he said, jogging off to see Michonne.

Tyreese smiled at me and held his arm out for me to grab. I held his forearm as he helped me walked. He rolled his eyes with a smile. His hand grasped my forearm and lifted me up easily so I was on his back. He made it look so easy, like I was just a backpack but I hung on anyway. I laughed at him as he bobbed up and down to get me higher on his back so it was easier for him to carry him.

"So, you and Carl?" He asked, and I raised my eyebrows at the question even though he couldn't see me.

"Me and Carl?" I questioned.

"Oh come on. You wear his clothes, you're attached at the hip. Don't tell me there's nothing going on there," he said, walking up the steps to our house.

"I don't know. What's your definition of 'nothing'?" I said, laughing as he dropped me on the sofa and slumped next to me.

"You like him," he stated, and I smiled awkwardly.

"Well I mean, I sort of have to," I joked. "We do share a room." I elaborated.

"I'm glad you get along. Miss seeing you though," he nudged my arm with his elbow and I smiled.

He was right. A lot of my time was spent with Carl now, and I rarely got to spend time with him anymore. I stayed where I was sat, relaxing into Tyreese's side with a sense of pure safety and comfort.

——————

Tyreese stayed perfectly still up until Michonne and Rick came through the doors. Tyreese moved his shoulder slowly, allowing Amelia's head to land softly on his hand so he could lay her head on a pillow. He didn't want to leave, he preferred knowing she was safe in his presence but he knew he shouldn't interfere. He laid her down, and lifted her feet onto the sofa as well, pulling the blanket down over her.

"She's really warmed up to you," Michonne smiled as she leaned on the doorframe watching the encounter.

"I like to think so," Tyreese agreed, standing up straighter so he could leave.

"Thank you. From what you did for Judith and to how you care for Lia. We really appreciate it," Rick thanked Tyreese gratefully.

The truth was, everyone saw how caring Tyreese was with the children. Whenever Judith needed someone to watch over her, Tyreese was there in a millisecond. And everyone knew the bond he had with Amelia. She'd opened up to him and even went looking for him if she needed company. It had shocked everyone just seeing the girl how she was now when they remembered how she used to be. She used to be so reserved and always on edge. She trusted them.