• Chase the Ace •

I was unsure of how I ended up in an actual bed. It wasn't my makeshift bed from before, it was an actual bed in an actual room. When I woke up, it took me a moment to realise where I even was, and then the memories from last night came flooding back. If this was how adults felt before the world fell apart then it was something I wouldn't get behind. The questions of if it even happened was enough to nearly send me into insanity. As much as I loved Abraham, I wish he hadn't encouraged this.

"Oh god," I groaned as I facepalmed.

Do I ask Carl about it? Why the hell I let myself actually kiss him was beyond me. What was more beyond me was the fact I liked it; the warm feeling I got in my chest was so foreign it was like I was on holiday for the first time.

"Morning," Rosita stuck her head through the door, and I let my head hit back on the pillow. "Rick and Daryl want a word downstairs."

Confused, I slid out of bed and begin my tired stumble downstairs, tumbling into the wall a fall times. Daryl and Rick were standing around, not doing much whilst Carl sat on the sofa, fully relaxed with nearly no care in the world. He caught my eye, and looked away quickly. I ignored the small pang of hurt that came with it, and instead looked at Rick as he began to speak.

"Morning," he greeted and I grunted in reply, flopping on the sofa next to Carl.

I ignored the way Carl scooted away a bit, and looked up to see Rick and Daryl look to each other. They seemed to brush off my antics which I was pleased about. It was Daryl that spoke next.

"Can we talk to ya about something?" Daryl asked. "About when ya were on ya own?"

I froze for a moment, swallowing the thick saliva that had built up in the back of my throat. I nodded stiffly. I hoped this wasn't about what I thought it was about. Did someone see me and Carl? Did they know we'd drank? Did Carl tell Rick about what I told him happened? I'd die from embarrassment if he did. How was I supposed to live that down? Amelia, the girl who had survived Terminus and her own father, humiliated by the thought of taking her pants off. Pure embarrassment.

"Yesterday, we saw a walker with a 'W' on his head. You seen anything like that before? Anyone who might've done it?"

I sighed in relief, letting my heart return to its normal pace. I shook my head. I didn't run into many walkers when I was on my own, my main problem was the people I bumped into.

"I didn't see many walkers, the storm was too bad and they didn't really notice me so I didn't notice them," I answered with a shrug and saw Rick run his hand through his hair.

"We were just curious, don't worry about it," Daryl answered and I nodded.

I stayed sat down for a moment, contemplating what to say or do that would matter in this moment but nothing came to mind. So instead I just got up and left, left to go do absolutely nothing.

———————

"This game is stupid, it's just luck," I sighed, as I moved my small contribution of the pot into the middle as I lost my second life in the game.

Ron passed the deck to Mikey, who handed everyone a card and gestured for us to look at them. Carl hadn't spoken throughout the game unless it was to state if he was sticking or swapping. He seemed really agitated and everyone could tell. As simple as it was to detach from my emotions if needed, hit attitude really bothered me.

"No it's not, you have to think about it," Ron explained and placed his card down. "So what's it gonna be Lia, stick or swap?" Ron asked.

My card was a five, not too high and not too low. I looked at Carl to see if his face would give away what card he had. He didn't even look at me, his gaze glued to the deck.

"I don't know," I answered, slightly flustered.

If I swapped and got a lower card then I've instantly lost. If I stick, and miss the opportunity of getting a better card, I've instantly lost.

"Hurry up," Mikey moaned, and I had to stop myself from just forfeiting from the pressure.

"Stick," I answered and watched as Carl also stuck with the card he had.

Ron decided to stick also, and it was Mikey who ultimately decided to swap his card with one off the deck. Everyone flipped their cards, and my jaw dropped when I saw Carl had a queen. Ron had an eight and Mikey actually swapped his card and ended up with the same one.

"God this is so stupid," I threw another one of my lives into the pot.

I'd already been told that we were into ally meant to have three lives in the game. It was my continuous losses that made them increase it to five.

"Mikey, swap seats with me and I'll help her play," Ron said, about to get up.

"No," Carl quickly interrupted. "I'll do it."

"Are you sure? I really don't min-."

"I said I'll do it." Carl's voice was stern and Ron frowned, almost seeming like he was going to say something before he retreated back to his original position.

It was my turn to hand out the cards now, and as I looked at my card, I felt Carl brush against my shoulder as he looked at it too. It was a three.

Carl swapped with Ron not even giving me the chance to look at his card before he turned it face down and watched Ron swap with Mikey. Mikey decided to swap with me and when I looked at the card it was a four.

I lifted my hand to pick up a new card from the deck before Carl suddenly stopped me, grabbing my hand and pulling it away.

"You don't have to swap it just because it's a low card, you gave him a three which means you're not the lowest." He explained quietly. "You're fine, you didn't lose."

I tried to control my breathing when I realised he hadn't let go of my hand yet. I also had to try and control my erratic heart but not for long, as soon after, Carl realised and let go anyway.

Maybe it was the awkward silence or just the atmosphere in general. I stood up and left without a word and began my descent downstairs from Ron's room, which was the new designated hangout spot.
I'd gotten to the porch when I heard footsteps behind me.

"Where're you going?" Carl asked annoyedly, matching my footsteps rather easily.

"Home," I answered, not stopping.

"Okay," he answered falling into step beside me, his arm brushing against mine annoyingly.

I groaned in annoyance, "Why're you following me?!"

He didn't seem phased by my outburst, he actually seemed calmer since we had left the others. "You're the only reason I went to Ron's, why would I stay after you left?" He asked rhetorically.

"I didn't ask you to go!" I didn't know why I was so irritated all of a sudden. "I didn't ask you to follow me either!" I added.

"That's a shame," he said, and I stopped to turn and look at him, to see a tiny smile gracing his features.

I continued my speed walk home and practically threw myself in the bed. I tried my best to ignore Carl's presence as he leaned against the doorframe, no expression on his face other than wonder.

"Go away, I'm going to sleep," I mumbled, rolling over to face the wall, bringing the blanket over me and bringing it up near my chin.

I heard nothing for a moment, but soon after his footsteps grew closer and I felt a dip in the mattress. I didn't dare turn around, unsure of what I could even say. He moved around for a bit, and I could soon hear the flipping of pages and a content sigh from him.

"You're so annoying," I barely whispered, and he hummed.