Monsters

Monsters were an idea for children to play with, mere figments of their imagination and fears. Shuichi saw it. He saw how his parents were simply indulging in his fears as they checked under his bed. He would hear them laugh about it and his 'childish' antics on their way back to bed. However, he knew the monsters were there. Even if the years flew by, he would believe it.
Except as the years passed by so did his parent's good humour. The playful light diminished from his mother's eyes, and his father no longer listened to his claims with a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. Shuichi stopped hearing their laughter at his 'antics.' Instead, he heard their fights and arguments, worry and concern over his mental state, his instance on these 'monsters'. Finally, they couldn't bear it any longer. "Shuichi," they had said to him, "you're going to stay with your Uncle. Just for a little bit, until we get this all sorted out."

"Kokichi, I think it's time to go." A shadow stepped out the closest. His thousands of eyes blinked as he slowly melted into a human form.
"Huh? What the hell are you saying, idiot?" asked the shadows under the bed. His sharp talons glistened in the fading sunlight forward as he pulled himself out. The darkness faded as it had done for the other into a human form. His was much shorter than Kaito's.
"His parents are getting stressed, they're sending him away. We're not good for him." Kaito prattled out.
"Seriously, Kaito? This is why you are the monster in the closet and I'm the monster under the bed," Kokichi said as he brushed the dirt off his clothes. "You aren't supposed to get attached. As long as they believe in us, we have to stick around." With a roll of his eyes and a disapproving look he said, "Geez, even Miu knows this."
"The midget is right," laughed the young lady as she crept through the window. "You're dumber than fleas and twice as insignificant. Why the hell should we listen to you and leave?"
"Dumber than fleas and twice as significant!?" He repeated red in the face. "I'm Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars!"
"Luminary of the Stars my ass, you're still a closet monster. How about you think twice before you talk back to the gorgeous girl genius Miu Iruma!"
"There's no need to think twice, both of you are heartless monsters! Even kids know better than to ruin someone's family!"
"Did you hit your head somewhere? Or do I need to remind you that we are monsters?" Kokichi cast a sharp glare over at Kaito.

Just as Kaito was about to respond the door suddenly swung open. Shuichi stood there pale face, eyes wide in shock, as he cried, "Who the hell are you guys? And why are you in my room!"

"Oh shit, you fucking virgins messed it up! Now the little kiddie is here!" Miu moaned, tearing at her hair in handfuls.
"Oh quit it Miu."
"See, this is why I told you we should go back," shouted Kaito as he shook with fear. They weren't ever supposed to get caught.
"No dumbass, you wanted to go back because of your snivelling little heart," snapped Kokichi. His claws twitched as he rejected the urge to clench his fists. The last thing he needed was bloody palms and more panic.

"Don't move I'm calling the police." Shuichi reached for his phone, eyes never leaving the trio. Fear raced through his mind, and he couldn't help but be grateful that both his parents were out shopping. At least they were safe.

"Now you guys have done it, we're doomed!" Miu collapsed onto the ground, tears streaming down her face, smudging her mascara. "No, I can't die like this, my golden brain can't disappear like this!"
"Shut it!" Kokich demanded. His mind raced as he tried to find a solution. "Now calm down all of you. There's no need to call the police, for they'll see nothing."
"What do you mean?"
Kokichi grinned at that response. At the very least they could try to buy some time. "Well, we are the monsters you see every night, right before bed. That pathetic whore is the voyeuristic perv that scratches at your windows." He glanced at Kaito and nodded his head over at the textbooks on the desk. "Over there, the dumbass Kaito is the what's peeking at you behind the closet doors." He glanced back at Shuichi. Surely, Kaito would get the message. He couldn't be that dumb. Kokichi just needs to buy enough time and keep Shuichi's attention for long enough. "Then you have me the ultimate supreme leader Kokichi Ouma, aka the monster under your bed."
"You can't expect me to believe that right?"
"Yep, that was all just a lie! Just kidding, of course, it's true." His lips curled into a smile a bit too wide and with teeth a tad too sharp to seem natural. "You don't seriously expect a human to look like us, now do you?"
At this Shuichi paused. His golden eyes trailed over Kokichi's claws and ink-stained limbs. He glanced at Miu's more delicate but far longer talons. Even Kaito had a cluster of eyes spread over his skin in random areas. They flickered around the room as if alive. Finally, he turned back to Kokichi, his voice playing in Shuichi's ears. It had sounded like a rustle of leaves as the wind blew through, and curled around his mind like smoke.
"I'll admit, you all are quite unnatural. However, I'm still calling the police."
"Oh to hell with subtly! What are you waiting for Kaito! Go on, hit him over the head, peasant."
"What the fuck, I'm not bashing him over the head!"
"God, out of all times to be a sniveling fool why now!" Kokichi scowled as he rubbed at his temples. "Fine, then go back to your closet." He shoved Kaito towards the doors before picking up Miu and tossing her out of the window. Shuichi could only watch in shock as the two morphed into the shadows. "Now then," Kokichi turned to face Shuichi with a sly smirk. He seemingly merged into the floor before rising out right next to where Shuichi stood. "Won't you be a doll and put that phone down?" He whispered into Shuichi's ear as he plucked it out of the other's grasp.
"But, how?" His gaze flickered from where Kokichi once stood to where he now was. It scanned rapidly around the room in search of any cameras. Two people just vanished no, merged into his closet and window. Another one simply sunk into his floor and popped right back out. This had to be a very elaborate prank.
"Hush, it's alright darling." Then Kokichi whacked Shuichi on the back of his head, not letting him say another word. "Great," said Kokichi looking down at Shuichi's crumpled form. "Well, that solves one problem. Miu, come over here and help me dump him into his bed. We want him thinking that this was all just a dream."