Negotiations

saiouma
phantom thief au

The dim glow of the stars that filled the night sky was washed away and by the colourful stars called city lights. Flashes of lights filled the streets. Shining billboards, flashing lights, alternating patterns of lights, tall looming street lamps that shone a harsh white, they lit up everything. The bustling noise, causing headaches to those not used to it. Honking of cars and impatient drivers, that never wait for a person to cross the streets before it drives by. Here you are the one waiting for the cars, try your best not to get hit. Bicycles flood the streets and sidewalks. Those carriages and wagons pulled by people either on foot or riding a bike. Shouting cries of desperate workers trying to sell flyers and coupons as they shove papers at your face. Sitting comfortably on the filthy sidewalks they lay their wares out on patterned blankets crying out false claims to advertise. Nothing was out of the ordinary in the city tonight. The city was flooded with people, going on with their day like nothing was wrong. The crickets sang, mosquitoes stung, and children ran from frantic mothers. Underground parking lots that smelled horrid, walls covered with shoe prints, flies buzzing and tables lined with plastic-wrapped dishes and white towels.
A lean shadow stumbles his way on shaking legs to the one building, completely unnoticed and ignored. Navy locks obscuring golden irises, head ducked low, fiddling with a hat. The icy wind whispering on his skin as it slithers its way in through the openings of his clothing. Looming just ahead was the infamous D.I.C.E Casino. Well known for it's three most famous gamblers.
Celestia Ludenburg, dressed in lace and frills gives off quite the opposite impression. However, the few who had tried their hand against her all left in stricken grief and sudden poverty. A winning streak, crimson eyes that have never seen a single loss.
Nagito Komaeda, sickly pale skin and hair, protruding bones and a carefree smile. The whispers of his name are well occupied by the tall tales of his games. Either winning miraculously from the sudden brink of defeat or losing suddenly just as it seemed like he was about to win. Most only tend to avoid playing against him whenever he seems to be sporting an injury of some sort. For those are the times when his luck is the best.
Finally, perhaps the most secretive of them all the king horse. He was the only one who didn't go by their real name. Preferring to use an alias and hiding behind a horse mask. The newer visitors often get put off by his silly name and childish mask. However, he was almost on parr with Celestia, both having never lost not even once. From behind the childish mask, an equally childish voice speaks. The lies he tells has you falling deeper into his abyss confusing and twisting your sense of reality. Once your mind is running around in circles, riddled full of lies he wins the game. It is as easy as stealing candy from a child.

To those who can't see it yet the casino may just seem like a fun place to play. Test your luck and know your limits then you shall be safe. Nevertheless, nothing is ever that simple. There's a story behind every lie and a secret behind every truth. The casino was an intoxicating beehive waiting for another victim to come its way. You win once then twice and then lose over and over again. It's favourable to those who know it well, test your hand, try your luck, have some fun, but remember not everything is as it seems.

Now then, why was the detective heading this way? Was there some sort of shady dealing going on? Or was it a much simpler reason, like dare say gathering information?
To the more frequent visitors, there were many more options than just gambling. Not all know about the other choices, but rumours spread. They slither around the streets, exchanged in the dark corners or alleyways, lip to lip, ear to ear. Rumours will never disappear, as long as it exists there will be some sort of gossip surrounding it.
A fee could be paid to spend a day with Nagito. If you are looking or searching for something as long as he is by your side you will stumble across it. However, he will not be held liable for any injuries you shall gain during your time together and you are to pay his hospital bills if he gets injured. As risky bet depending on how difficult your search might be. One person spent a day with Nagito in order to find his daughter, a cliche plot. He found her, but in the process got hit by a bus and had one of his legs amputated. Nagito was an expensive and risky gamble, as expected of his luck.  Most tend to avoid him unless they are desperate or foolish.
Shuichi through wasn't searching for something he needed information.
Celestia had a detailed amount of information mainly about where to buy things and how to make money fast. Her information through valuable was extremely expensive. A larger sum then Shuichi could afford. Which only left one possibility, the horse. 
He went by King Horse but many shortened it down to a simple King. Well, expect for Celestia, who refused to call him that and just calls him horse.
His personality was fickle from what Shuichi had earned. It was impossible to find anything on this guy other than his appearance and the basic information. 
They on the other hand knew about everything. Parents will tell their children about him. If you do anything wrong the King Horse will know. He would have been heavily targeted if not for the fact that he had a stack of papers containing everything he knows that will be released to the public if he were ever to die. Along with the fact that everyone who even tried had their reputation completely destroyed beyond belief. What goes on in this city and beyond it, the details of everyone, they had access to all of it. Not to mention he was the only one Shuichi had a chance of paying. Since, he accepted payments of all kinds, not only in cash.