I'm just your problem

I'm just your problem from adventure time
oumota
angst

La da da da da

"Kai-chan~" Hands twisted out of view Kokichi sauntered over with a smile bursting with untold secrets and lies.
One would be filled to the brim with suspicion and caution at the mere mention of Kokichi's name nevermind encountering him in person. Kokichi had a reputation. Whispers about him filled the halls, enough rumours to fill thousands of books. Whether or not Kokichi planned for it to be this way will forever be a mystery. Some claimed him to be a righteous and misunderstood character, others said he was a scheming liar, then there were those who called him a creature in disguise. One thing for sure was that everyone knew him and yet nobody could say with absolute certainty what he was like. A few even ventured as far as to say that he will be the one to pull of something larger than the past bombing and exceed Nagito's reputation. They respected, feared and ignored him.
Fortunately, or would it be, unfortunately? Either way, Kaito was not the most ordinary person. With his hero complex and IQ levels, not to forget his outstanding levels of optimism and trust. Being one of the meagre amounts of people who put up with him and interacted with him. They had a form of friendship, as twisted as it may be. 

"Ouma-san what do you want?" His voice rang out false annoyance dripping from chapped lips.
They had a friendship, true, but not a public one. That would be Kaito's fault. They didn't agree that it would be a private thing. Rather Kaito went out of his way to avoid Kokichi and not talk to him when he was with others. As for Kokichi, he knew how to take a hint. As mentioned, it is a twisted subject.
"Kai-chan how rude of you! You sound so annoyed~" Kokichi snuggled up right next to him. The grin never leaving his face. "At this rate, you will never get a girlfriend if you don't smile~"

I'm gonna bury you in the ground

"Why-you?... Just get on with it, I'm not in the mood for this today." Rubbing his temples in an attempt to soothe his aching head. At least it was just them, everyone else had left after witnessing Kokichi. Nevertheless, Kokichi grinning. It was a sure-fire sign of him scheming up something. He might dig up another secret about them, one that could top Maki's.
The corners of his lips twitched downwards into a pout as he leaned in closer. "Awww, you act as if you don't love me!"
"Of course I don't. Don't make up such random accusations." Calloused hands began to push and pry at Kokichi in attempts to yank the other off him. It was no use Kokichi stuck on like a leech.

La da da da da

"Sigh, one night in bed and you already act like you don't know me~ They were right when they say men only want you for one thing."
"W-what! We-we have never done such a thing!" His face was set on flame, even more desperately he yanked at Kokichi's suffocating grip.

I'm gonna drink the red from your pretty pink face
I'm gonna...

"Oh? Is Momota-chan blushing because of me?" Face tilted upwards, eyelashes fluttering and adorned with a coy smile.
Kaito blushed even harder to the point that one might worry about him fainting. "How cute~" Kokichi crooned out, stroking Kaito's face. "Anyways you haven't forgotten about our plans, right?" Voice hitching in a sing-song manner, a whisper of a threat woven into his words.
"Hush." A hand roughly placed over Kokichi's mouth sealing it shut. "Not in public." Eyes darting cautiously back and forth, assuring that nobody got the wrong idea. It was moments like this that Kaito felt grateful that many went out of their way to avoid Ouma. Nobody had seen and nobody had heard. Relief was quick to die out replaced with rage. He finally managed to loosen Kokichi's grip and pulled him over till they were face to face. Violet met violet, the difference in height all the more clear. "Watch your mouth someone could have heard."

When dignity, reputation and pride were more important than friendship, could that truly be called friendship?

It was always like this. Sweet whispers and comforting moments, but only behind closed doors. The moment they were in public eye he was forced to play the villain. Nothing more then a counterpart to make the hero shine more brightly, that was the villain's job. The righteous hero defending others from the monstrous villain. Shame, Kokichi had always liked the villains from when he was a child till now. The villains tended to be less cliche, more interesting designs, better songs and a more complex character. Too bad Kaito couldn't see that. He rather have the cookie-cutter heroes with their fake shining plastic smiles.

Bitter anger tugged down at his features. Anger was an untamable emotion. It was a phoenix that always returns with greater and greater splendour than before no matter how you try to kill it. Bright, brilliant and free, it brings kingdoms to destruction. Anger had caused many conflicts in the past and will continue to do so. 
Anger, rage and hatred were all emotions Kokichi had learned, with great difficulty, to tuck away and use when needed. Tucking it away under his skin, weaving it deep within till one could barely see the seams. It was the deadliest blade that can save one or drown them.
 In his case, it had been building up, slowly cumulating. Years of pent up grudges and suffering just waiting for the moment he snaps. A volcano on the verge of boiling over, near the boiling point, even the slightest push was enough.
Kokichi was never fond of showing his true emotions. However, being locked away like a dirty little secret takes a toll. He was no mistress, what was wrong with being friends? Or did Kaito just have a problem with him?

He wore a smile, he was always smiling, wasn't he? "Oh... You don't like that?" Quick-witted hands darted upwards to bop Kaito's nose. A smile so innocent and loving. Slowly being tainted, it grew darker and darker. An innocent smile dripping with pure distaste. "Or do you just not like me!"
Kaito's face was quick to fall. Blubbering out words he attempted to defend himself and calm Kokichi down. However, this was not a small problem nor was it a new one. "Ouma-kun, I mean san." Once more scanning the area for any who may have heard. "You know it's not like that. It's just in public, maybe if you were nicer we could be more friendly in public."

"You're saying that I need to change MYSELF to suit YOUR needs!" Hands swung open he pushed himself away from Kaito. Turning on his heel he paced to and fro. "Be nicer, be nicer, be nicer, huh?.....Well sorry, I don't treat you like a goddess. Is that what you want me to do?" With each word he stalked forward, rage evident in his gaze.
The astronaut's face was contoured in a stage of shock. Kokichi did not normally off like this. "You know that's not what I meant." Hands reaching out wavering around Kokichi like he wanted to touch him but couldn't. 
"Then what did you mean." Cocking an eyebrow and tilting his head back, staring down Kaito.
Sweat began to form on his forehead, the headache wasn't helping either. Struggling for words he said the worse choice possible. "I meant for you to lie less and stop pranking. Don't expose other's secrets like you did to Maki. Maybe be more like Shuichi, he's a nice guy. You should learn from his example."

Wrong thing to say, wrong thing to say Kaito. Kokichi's expression darkened beyond possible. Warping into something else. "Be more like Shuichi? Is that so, then sorry I don't treat you like you're perfect. Like all your little loyal subjects do. Is that what you wanted? I'm tired of you and your hero complex!"
"Wait-no I just meant-"
"Sorry I'm not made of sugar, am I not sweet enough for you?" Tears trailed downward, Kokichi harshly wiped them away. Kaito felt horrible, regret flooded every fibre of him. Nothing would come out of his mouth. What could he even say to redeem himself, at this point? However, Kokichi took the silence as something else.

"Is that why you always avoid me?" Kaito shook his head back and forth, but Kokihci could see his lies. It was true, was it not? Didn't Kaito avoid him in public? They could only be friends in private after all. "That must be such an inconvenience to you. Standing with me in public, ruining your reputation. A hero ain't supposed to be friends with the villain." Fingers dart forward sinking deep and twisting the clean pressed fabric of his white t-shirt. Faces inches away, they could feel the other's breath on their skin. 
"Well... I'm just your problem aren't I? I'm just your problem." Dewy eyes, dripping tears, furrowed brows, Kokichi was a wreck. You can thank Kaito for that. Maybe if he hadn't tried to hide away from facing the truth, shame one couldn't go back in time. The past and the future were similar. The only difference was that you can't change the past. You can't visit the future but you could still change it. It was up to Kaito to find a solution for this if that is it is still salvageable.
"It's like I'm not even a person, am I?...Hey, what even am I? You shy away from the truth. I guess I'm just your problem." Kokichi finally released Kaito trudging away.

"Ouma-kun!" Kaito hesitated a bit then ran after him. "What's wrong? Calm down can we just talk this out?" He roughly grasped Kokichi's wrist and yanked him forward.
" I forget what landed me on your blacklist, but I shouldn't have to be the one that makes up with you." Kokichi seethed, steam radiating from him. Kaito was the culprit why was he acting like the victim? Kokichi should be the one hurt, who gave Kaito the right to act like that. Sure, he was avoided in public. However, here's something new you should know. Even in private when Maki or Shuichi texted Kaito to leave Kaito would go.
He didn't want to feel like an old toy, something you only play with when you got nothing else. He knew he shouldn't have looked forward to today. They were supposed to go stargazing together. Guess that's ruined now.

Kokichi shouldn't continue to wish for a proper friendship with Kaito, so... why does he want to?