Chapter 22

Zak POV

The ride to Greenville's hospital was far too long for me. I was on the edge of my seat and trying to will myself to stay calm. I was terrified that something would happen to Caty before I got there. Jay and Billy were trying to keep me calm as well but I felt sick. Caty was only here because that bitch tried to worm her way back into my life again. I should have left my office when she showed up. I should have done something more. If Caty had not seen her kissing me she would not be in the hospital right now. Finally after about an hour, we arrived at the hospital and the second that Jay stopped the car I was running. I shot out of the car like a bullet from a gun and ran inside. I ran over to the front desk and the lady behind it jumped.

"I need to know what room Catherine Goodwin is in," I said in a rush. She glared at me for a moment before speaking.

"Are you family?" she asked.

"Yes I am. Now where is she?" I demanded. At this point, Jay and Billy had made their way inside and were trying to calm me. "Please tell me where she is. I need to know, please." The woman apparently could see how upset I was, and typed something into her computer before looking back at me.

"She is on the second floor, room 214," she said calmly.

"Thank you so much. Sorry about before," I called to her and took off running. Billy and Jay ran after me and I stopped at the elevators, pushing the button relentlessly. Once the doors opened, we all stepped inside and I pressed the button for the second floor. 

"Zak, calm down dude," Billy said, grabbing my elbow. "You being upset like this isn't going to help her. You need to stay calm." I nodded at him and took a deep breath. A few seconds later, the door opened again and we stepped out. I looked at the wall for a sign telling me which way to go. I saw it pointing to the left showing that her room was down the hallway. I rushed off, followed by Billy and Jay. Once I made it to her room, I opened the door and stepped in. My heart broke at the image in front of me. Caty was laying in the bed unconscious with a oxygen tube under her nose and various tubes in her arms, her right wrist already in a cast. I saw Aaron and Tara sitting on either side of her and they looked up as we entered. Aaron walked over to me and wrapped me in a hug, fresh tear tracks on his face. Tara could only look up at me, fear and sadness on her face. Aaron released me, and I walked over and sat down next to her bed in a chair. I gently took her left hand in mine and kissed it softly. 

"Have they said anything?" I asked, not looking away from her face. It had been days since I had seen her and this was not at all how I had imagined our reunion.

"No, other than the fact that they are going to do an ultrasound to check on the baby in just a little bit," Tara said, and I could feel her eyes on me. I only nodded.

"According to what the doctors said, the worst of this is the broken wrist. She has a few bruised ribs but nothing else is broken. Thankfully her neck wasn't broken either," Aaron was saying.

"Dude, that's incredible, because she hit the wall hard and when she fell to the floor, it shook the floor," Billy said quietly.

"This is entirely my fault," I whispered. They all looked at me in shock.

"Zak, how many times do we have to say that this was not your fault, it was Holly who caused this?" Aaron asked. "I'm Caty's older brother and I don't blame you for any of this. Although if I ever see Holly again, I may not be as kind to her as I am with you." 

"Zak, you have been fighting for two days to get to her," Jay said. "We know that you aren't to blame." I shook my head.

"I shouldn't have even gone into the museum that day," I said. "She told me she wasn't feeling well and I should have stayed with her." Tara leaned forward and looked at me but I couldn't take my eyes off Caty.