Chapter 23

Caty POV

It was dark and it felt like the best sleep I had had in weeks. I was annoyed though because I could hear voices speaking. They were familiar but sounded worried and stressed. I couldn't place the voices at first and then I realized, it was Tara and Zak speaking. I began to open my eyes and lifted my hand to my face. I let out a groan as a piercing pain spread through me at the movement. As my eyes opened fully, I saw Zak and Billy standing next to the door a look of surprise on their faces. Fear flooded me. What the hell was he doing here? He came over to me from the door, Billy coming up behind him to stand at the foot of my bed. I had to think of something to say fast.

"Caty, baby you're awake!" He said taking my hand, smiling at me. "I've been so worried. I had to find you, to tell you everything. Are you ok?" I tried to think of something and the first thing that came to my mind flew out of my mouth before I could stop it.

"Who are you?" I asked, looking around. "Where's my brother?" He froze, looking at me in confusion.

"What?" he asked. "What do you mean who am I? I'm your boyfriend and the father of your baby. You came to the museum a few days ago to tell me about the baby don't you remember?" I shook my head, looking around. Then I saw Tara and sighed in relief.

"Tara," I said, reaching for her. Zak looked up and saw Tara coming around to the side of my bed. She sat down next to him and looked at me.

"Caty, you know who I am?" she asked. 

"Yes you are Tara, my best friend. Where am I? Where is Aaron?" I asked. Zak stood up and stepped away towards Billy, looking at me with tears in his eyes, confusion and hurt all over his face. It hurt my heart to do this to him but I couldn't face him. I could hear that Billy was talking to him, coaxing him out of the room, saying that he still needed to eat.

"Tara we will go call Aaron and let him know that she is awake," Billy said, pulling Zak from the room. I looked at Zak as he was pulled from the room, his face a mask of pain. I sighed as the door closed and Tara came over to me and sat down.

"Caty, are you ok?" she asked as I tried to ease myself up into a seated position. As I did, that sharp pain shot through me again and she jumped up to help me. "Caty you need to be careful. You have seven bruised ribs and a broken wrist. You need to be careful."

"Yeah, I gathered that," I groaned. I sat up and gasped for air, holding my side as I sat back against the pillows. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. "What happened to me?"

"What's the last thing you remember?" she asked.

"I was in the Manor helping Billy set up for the investigation and then we heard something. We started a Spirit box session and then..." I trailed off as my eyes widened at the memory. I had been thrown against a wall three feet in the air and held there for several seconds before being dropped by whatever it was. I looked over at Tara, afraid again. "Is the baby ok?"

"Your baby is fine," she said. "Zak was with you through the whole thing."

"Who is Zak?" I asked looking away from her.

"Don't even try it," Tara said, raising an eyebrow at me. "You remember Billy, why are you trying to convince me that you don't know who Zak is?" Just then the door opened and Aaron walked in. He looked over and saw me awake, and relief flooded his face.

"Caty Cat," he said. He rushed over to me and pulled me into his arms. I winced at the pain and he loosened his grip on me. "Sorry, are you ok?"

"Yeah I'm fine," i replied.

"She was just about to tell me why she was trying to pretend that she didn't know who Zak was when she woke up and saw him," Tara said, crossing her arms at me. Aaron looked at me in confusion.