Finding a Loyal Steed

Now properly cleaned and wearing attire to match the time period, you were back in the sitting room. Except, this time around, a doctor stood in front of you. He had just finished with your checkup.

The old man adjusted his glasses before jotting a few things down on his clipboard. "When it comes to her physical health, she seems completely fine. Although, I know this may be strange for me to say, but she looks younger since I saw her last week."

Dire, who was currently standing behind you, spoke up. "Perhaps it's because she's been staying inside for so long. Today was the first time she left the house since Mr. Speedwagon passed on."

"Perhaps..." The doctor had to think. "And you say she developed amnesia? What was she doing outside?"

A pained expression crossed Dire's face, "She was standing under the tree where Mr. Speedwagon proposed to her."

"I see..." That seemed to help the doctor figure out what he assumed was going on. "That might have triggered something in her mind. The emotional shock, in combination with the incorrect usage of her medication may have caused her to lose memories in an attempt to block out the traumatic experience."

Lisa rose her hand, ready to convey some of her own worries, "Ms. (L/N) also just told me that she wanted to participate in the Steel Ball Run. That would be too dangerous for her right now, right? But I fear she might try and sign up for it on her own." She was hoping the doctor could provide some kind of note that would prevent you from joining the race.

The doctor stared at you for a second before speaking up, "Well, it might be a good idea."

"What?!" The butler was now considering hiring a new doctor.

So the old man explained his reasoning, "A race like the Steel Ball Run might help her cope with her situation and perhaps some memories will start to resurface. Plus, she can drop out at any time."

"Thank you, doctor." You stood up from the couch, "I will begin preparing for the race right away."

Based on what you had learned, the race would start in a few days. The manor you were in was located in Virginia, so the trip to San Diego would probably take some time. You would prefer to leave sooner rather than later. Also, you didn't really want to take the place of the other you for much longer. The longer you did, the more likely it was for them to figure out something was wrong. But, even before Speedwagon's death, the other you had been a very private person, so most wouldn't be familiar with your appearance.

The doctor picked up his bags and started walking toward the door. "If that's all you needed from me, then I'll take my leave. I have other patients to see." And with that the old man left.

"So you're really serious about this whole race thing?" The butler still did not seem entirely convinced. "I am aware that you enjoy watching them, but actually being in one is entirely different." But he could already tell that you weren't planning to change your mind. He let out a long sigh. "Very well, Ms. (L/N). Then I'll do my best to ensure that you get the best gear available for this race. You'll need a good horse, too." He just hoped the event really would help bring back your memories. It was too bad for him that you never had such memories to begin with.

"Oh..." The butler went back over to the phone. "And I suppose I should probably inform the President that you won't be able to make it to dinner with him this evening. If I explain the situation to him, I'm sure he'll understand."

"The President?" The year was 1890, so did that mean the other you was friends with Benjamin Harrison or something? Or perhaps he knew the other Speedwagon.

Dire nodded. "Yes, President Valentine. Although, I suppose you were acquainted with him even before he took office. So perhaps you'd know him as Funny. I think he may have been the one to introduce you to horse racing."