High-tech

The three of you had been staying in a hotel for the past few days. The boat would be leaving soon, so everyone was starting to pack up their things.

Gyro Zeppeli stared intently at a pink, stuffed bear in his hands. He had ordered it a while back and only now had he received it. He took a second to adjust the red bow on its head before placing it carefully into his bag.

Gyro looked up. Johnny was busy packing his own things, but you were already finished. You were sitting on the edge of your bed, swiping a finger across some sort of metal rectangle.

"Hm?" Gyro yanked it out of your hand. He started inspecting it. "What is this thing?"

"A phone." You stood up trying, and failing, to grab it back.

"Nice try, (Y/N)." He held it just out of your reach. "But you weren't even calling anybody. Plus, phones don't look like this." He started tapping at it. "Now, I know it was glowing earlier. How did you do that? Ah!" He coincidentally hit the power button. "There we go!" His elated expression switched to confusion as he stared at the home screen. "Is that supposed to be the time? And the date is way off..."

"There isn't really anything for it automatically sync with. And I just didn't feel like changing it manually..." You held out your hand, waiting for him to return it. "And it is a phone. That's what they look like in the future I'm from."

He wasn't even looking at you anymore, too busy trying figure out how the phone worked. "Hey, what's your password?" He swiped to the left. "Woah." He held it up to his face. "I can see you through this thing now." He tapped something else and his eyes widened. "No way... is that me? This thing is a mirror, too?" He moved his free hand up to his face. "I'm looking pretty good..."

You let out a sigh. "It's a camera." You had given up on trying to take it back and were now observing him over his shoulder. "Just tap that circle and you can take a picture."

"Like this?" He took a selfie. "Where does it come out of?" Gyro tried shaking your phone. "How do I get my picture?"

"It's stored on the device. Just..." You reached over to click on your photo album. "There."

"Wow. It's in color and everything." He started swiping again. "Hey, this is all from the race. You were taking pictures this whole time?"

"Every now and then. Just so I could show the people back home." With him momentarily distracted, you managed to snatch back your phone. "I was sorting through them before I was so rudely interrupted."

Johnny slung a bag over his shoulder and walked over to you. He had been listening in on the conversation while he packed. "Do you have pictures from your universe?"

"A few." If you had known sooner that you'd suddenly be transported to another universe, you probably would've taken more. You were about to show some when Gyro started picking up his things.

"Well, if we're all ready now, we should probably get going to the docks. Don't want to miss the boat." He took his hat off a side table and placed it back on his head.

"Right. Yeah." You slipped the device back into your pocket. You could show them pictures of your friends and such on a later date. Or, better yet, perhaps they would get a chance to meet them in person sometime soon.

The three of you eventually exited the hotel, beginning the short stroll to where the next step of your little adventure would start. You retrieved your horses. They would be traversing the ocean alongside you.

You had just about made it when you spotted someone walking toward you.

"Miss (L/N)!" Dire was moving at a rather fast pace in your direction. "Thank goodness I caught you in time. I was afraid you would have left by now." He took a second to catch his breath before continuing. "But may I ask what you are doing? The race has ended and you have yet to return to the estate."