Do You Know the Enemy?

"Good luck." That was the last thing Pierre whispered to you before he opened the doors of the President's office. "Miss (L/N) has arrived." With that he left the room and closed the doors behind him.

Valentine finished writing something out on the the piece of paper in front of him before setting it on top of the pile of documents to his right. "I'm curious, (Y/N)." He slid forward a newspaper on his desk. "What exactly do you have to say about this?"

You briefly skimmed its contents, though the picture they had taken was right there. "They really work fast, don't they?"

"Indeed." He took the newspaper back from you and tossed it into the waste bin. "Seeing it with my own two eyes was quite enough. I would rather they refrained from publicizing the damned thing. Luckily it's only a local newspaper. I already have people taking care of it. "

He stood up and walked over to the other side of his desk to tilt your chin up. "There's no need to look so worried, (Y/N). I could tell you weren't initiating it. You can make it up to me in your own way. The real issue is that Zeppeli who's always sauntering about like he owns the place. I doubt the Joestar is much better. It's obvious they don't consider you as only a friend." Valentine let go of your chin so he could cup your face instead. "I don't want you teaming up with them anymore. If you would like to continue the race, you must do it solo from now on."

You stared at him, trying to keep your expression as blank as possible. "No."

Valentine's hand fell back down to his side as he cornered you against his desk. "No?"

"It's not a part of the deal we made." You crossed your arms. "I'm not going to stop riding with them just because you're jealous."

Valentine scoffed. "I'm not jealous. I do not envy them in any way. I have you in a way that they very clearly don't." His touch lingered on your waist. "I am merely looking out for you. I wouldn't want you becoming First Lady with an already tainted reputation."

"What...? First Lady? I agreed to no such thing."

"Not so fast." He waved a finger back and forth. "You agreed to take the place of the other (Y/N). I had always planned to one day have her replace Scarlet as my wife. Therefore, it is only natural that it should be the same case for you."

"That's absurd. What would be the point if I'm leaving in a year?"

"Exactly. It's only a year. So I don't understand why you're so opposed to it." He leaned in closer, his breath fanning against the shell of your ear. "Unless you don't think you can last that long."

"Hold on." You put a hand on his chest, trying to stop him for a moment. "You wife is literally only a few rooms away."

Valentine brushed aside a bunch of the papers on his desk to clear it off. They all scattered along the floor as he hooked his hands around your thighs and seated you on his desk. "Do you think I care? If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were just trying to come up with excuses. You must not want to return to your universe after all." He smiled darkly. "But I'm sure that's not the case. So why don't you be a dear and unbutton my shirt for me?"

You were positive he was just trying to make you uncomfortable at this point. "Very well." So you made sure not to let it show as you slowly undid each button, buying whatever time you could.

He let the shirt fall from his arms and drop to the floor. You hadn't exactly paid much attention the last time he was shirtless, but this time you noticed the Latin words engraved into his skin. It was undoubtedly a result from him having the corpse heart. Although, based on what Lucy had told you, he didn't have it anymore. Though he had obtained several other pieces instead. Did he have them with him? You weren't sure.