Talent and Skill

“A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.” Larry Bird

Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. 1 Peter 4:10

Dexterity: “skill at performing tasks, especially with the hands” New Oxford American Dictionary

I remember watching a basketball game one evening, and I remember one of the first things that came to my mind was the word “skill.” Skill is fundamental to success in life. But it's one thing that is entirely our responsibility to attain. You've heard the saying I'm sure, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.” Skill development is kinda like that. Our parents can encourage and even mandate skill building exercises, but they can't force ability on their children. Businesses develop training programs to enhance the skills of their workers, but employees must accept the training and take it seriously for it to be affective. Unfortunately, no matter what the training, none of us will ever be skilled at all the things we would like to be good at. I would like to be a major league pitcher, but I don't have the gift of a laser rocket arm. Likewise, I'm sure there are things you would like to be able to do, but just don't have the ability. Fortunately we all are blessed with talents from God. Gifts that may not be recognizable or even desired, but if cultivated and valued could change lives. Talents are the canvas on which skills come to fruition. It's our responsibility to turn our blank canvases into works of art, to develop our talents into skills that can be used to make the world a better place. Let's try to identify the areas of potential we have and develop dexterity in those fields. If we base our skills on the God-given talents we poses and work hard at honing those skills and using them for the betterment of others, there is no doubt in my mind we will find, not only success, but something much more important. As Zig Ziglar puts it, we will find “significance.”

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake

Get the full experience at www.selfgrowthjournal.blogspot.com and follow me on Facebook