Beware of Virtues

“To be greatly and affectively wicked a man needs some virtue.” C.S. Lewis

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 2 Peter 1:5-7

Virtue: “behavior showing high moral standards” New Oxford American Dictionary

I know what you're thinking. Virtues are virtuous, they're good... right? And you're right. Virtues are virtuous, they're good works. But they don't define the soul, they define appearances; and as you know appearances don't necessarily define the heart of a person. Bravery is a virtue, patience is a virtue, temperance is a virtue, kindness is a virtue, and the list can continue. But I know you can imagine how each virtue I just listed, and any virtue I could list in perpetuity, could be used for corrupt purposes. In many ways, Adolf Hitler was brave to set up the government he did in Germany; many people wanted and sought to kill him. Even the devil himself perseveres to capture our souls in the face of the Almighty, and many unsuspecting victims have been lured to their fate by kindness. Let's be mindful of our virtues, they are qualities we could and should use, but let's be vigilant that we use them for God's purpose. If we don't, they are just another weapon to be used for good or for ill.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake