Acting With a Sense of Urgency

“Without a sense of urgency, desire loses its value.” Jim Rohn

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. Proverbs 6:6-8

Exigent: “pressing; demanding” New Oxford American Dictionary

I remember watching an NBA basketball team lose a playoff game and series a while back. And I remember them losing because they could not enact a sense of urgency consistently. There's no doubt in my mind the players wanted to win, but they didn't make the full effort required to win. Like in a basketball game, we all come across exigent times and at those moments our ability to meet the demands required of us make a difference for our future and quite possibly the future of others as well. No matter how much we want something, we won't get it unless we make an effort for it. You might have noticed, most people who have more than us have also spent more time trying to get what they have. They may not be justified in their desires and actions, but their efforts made a difference. Don't get me wrong, pushing people out of our way to gain an advantage towards our desires is wrong and the Bible speaks out against selfishness and covetousness over and over. But there are things that need to be worked for, such as sustenance for our families, protection for those who cannot protect themselves, knowledge, and wisdom. We should all strive to build a foundation of knowledge and wisdom that is based on the precepts laid out by God in the Bible. Then we will have a better understanding of what our role in the world should be and what we should try to gain or accomplish. As Christians, don't you think we could accomplish so much more if we tried as hard accomplishing tasks for God as some do trying to become accomplished? Let's make a commitment to act with a sense of urgency for what we know is right instead of just acting with a sense of urgency in our own right. That way so much more of what we accomplish will be for the good of all, not just ourselves.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake