Forgive and Forgiven

“Forgiveness is not an occasional act, it is a constant attitude.” Martin Luther King Jr.

“And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.” Matthew 6:12 (Jesus)

Exonerate: “(esp. of an official body) absolve (someone) from blame for a fault or wrongdoing, esp. after due consideration of the case” New Oxford American Dictionary

Hardly a day goes by without experiencing a possible offense. If we took every wrong action against us to heart, we would probably die of a heart attack before the age of 40. It's important to be able look past the offending actions of our peers and fellow citizens. As the Will Smith song, Just the Two of Us goes, “hate in your heart will consume you too.” Forgiveness is not a completely unselfish act, in most cases, forgiving benefits the forgiver more than the forgiven. At times, it can be hard, and as imperfect beings, there will be times when we all fail. However, if we constantly strive to increase the likelihood of our grace, with God's help, our capacitance to forgive will undoubtably increase, until someday, we will be able to live up to the suggestion of Dr. King. Every one of us is constantly in need of forgiveness; both from other people and from God. Granting forgiveness to others increases the odds of being exonerated from our own misdeeds. It's no coincidence that Jesus taught the disciples to pray, “Forgive us our debts, as we forgive or debtors.” Matthew 6:12 We may never be able to satisfy people with our actions, and there will always be people who hold a grudge against us, but we have a Heavenly Father who has already forgiven all of our transgressions; past, present, and future. All we must do is claim His promise of love and salvation. He wants to change our hears from the inside. He wants to supply us with a loving heart. And He wants to instill in us a constant attitude of forgiveness.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake