Purpose and Penguins

“What are we going to do without animals? If they die, we will all die." Aghelos Kouvaras

Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” Genesis 1:26

Steward: “a person whose responsibility it is to take care of something” New Oxford American Dictionary

Sometimes as adults we can overcomplicate issues so much that the problems get lost amid the arguments. Sometimes it takes the innocence of a child to set a matter straight. The fact is, there are animals on this earth that need our protection. They are gifts from God and He gave us the ability and responsibility to care for them. Aghelos Kouvaras understands that responsibility. After being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma sometime in september 2010 he endured six months of chemotherapy treatment. During that time he found a purpose for his life in caring for animals. He wanted to help save endangered penguins. And just weeks after ending chemotherapy treatments, Aghelos participated in the Wildlife Conservations Society’s third annual Run for the Wild on April 30, a 5k run meant to help endangered penguins. His desire to help wildlife not only gave him something to live for, it was effective. Thousands of dollars were raised because of what he stood for while lying in a hospital bed and thousands more are sure to be donated because he wished for something more than just his life. Aghelos was right, if all the animals died we would be dead as well. Sometimes it takes a child to lead, and we should all follow the example of young Aghelos Kouvaras. Did I mention he was six.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you so much for reading. I hope you found the story of Aghelos Kouvaras as inspiring as I did. Sometimes I just have to thank God for the people He's blessed us all with in this world. Hope to see you back here tomorrow.

Jake