Spread Thin

"I have ideas of how I want my paintings to look, that I can't put into words. When people see my paintings, I want them to see marks that I actually made." Ben Weiner

Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; 
he will never let the righteous be shaken. Psalm 55:22

Affectation: “behavior, speech, or writing that is artificial and designed to impress” New Oxford American Dictionary

I recently read an article about the modern practices of producing art, such as paintings, sculptures, and so on. I was struck by how many notable artists who command hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars per piece do not actually create their own art. Rather, they hire other artists and apprentices, then instruct and manage them to create the artwork for them in their name. There are pros and cons to this sort of system, on one hand, through the help of others, artists are creating works that are arguably more beautiful, more impressive, and more abundant than they could on their own. But on the other hand, if you paid one million dollars for a painting in your home, you might want every brush stroke to be a genuine imprint of the artist who's name is on the canvas. As people we'll always have to choose between quantity and quality. We can't be everything to everybody all by ourselves, and if we try to be even something to everybody, nobody will get all of us. I'm so glad we have a God that can be everything to everybody. His omnipotence gives every one of us full time access to His love, knowledge, and assistance, if we only seek it. With that in mind, there is one way we can spread more love and aid than we could ever imagine on our own. That is to spread the gospel of the love of Christ. God's love can never be spread too thin.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake