Following Jesus

“God places the heaviest burden on those who can carry its weight.”  Reggie White

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.  Psalm 23

Elucidate:  “make (something) clear; explain”  New Oxford American Dictionary

10:22 AM; Addie, Cynthia, Carole, and Denise are putting on their choir robes in a back room between sunday school and church.  Suddenly there’s a blast, one 11 year old and three 14 year old girls become martyrs for their faith and their race.  It was a blast that was heard around the world that September day in 1963.  Those four little girls were killed in the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing that rocked Birmingham, Alabama and became an elucidative event in United States race relations.  Just two blocks away, on the same street, eight year old Condoleezza sang hymns with her parents in another church.  She recalls being able to clearly hear the explosion and feel the rumble of it’s blast.  She immediately knew what it was.  It was not a new thing, bombs were not too uncommon, and every African American recognized their notes.  But despite the hardships of their cause, black leaders knew their purpose, and every blast and every murder served only to forge their mission further.  Every act of violence tempered the wills of our future leaders, like little Condoleezza Rice, who would grow up to become the Secretary of State of the United States of America; the fourth person in line to the presidency.  Maybe it’s because, while they were walking through the valley of the shadow of death, they were following Jesus.  You see, the blast of that Sunday morning bomb, broke out nearly every window in that church and in the laundromat across the street.  It even destroyed two cars in the parking lot.  But there was one stained glass window that remained.  It depicted Jesus with his shepherd’s rod being followed by a flock of children.  Only one pane of glass was broken from that window.  It was the pane that held the face of Christ.  Through our walk as Christians, our Savior will be besmirched, ridiculed, and even destroyed in the minds of those who oppose Him.  But He promised His disciples that if they followed Him, He would make them fishers of men.  Condoleezza Rice is truly a fisher of men.  Let’s try to emulate her, let’s try to be those children, those sheep, in that stained glass window.  We may be surrounded by blasts and violence, but we can rest assured while following in the footsteps of Jesus.

 Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming for?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you so much for reading.

Jake