Who Needs Pragmatism?

“If not us, who? If not now, when?” Scott Harrison (founder of Charity: Water)

And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be. And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her. Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear? Genesis 17:15-17 (King James Version)

Pragmatic: “dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations” New Oxford American Dictionary

I heard the word “pragmatic” today, and I knew I had to write about it... Because I don't believe in it. The greatest things in life don't make sense. The worst things we endure, don't make sense. So what does sense have to do with reality? The only way we can make sense of reality is in a faith in God. It makes no sense to grow a nation from two infertile people over ninety years old. But that's exactly what God did. It makes no sense that one billion people don't have access to clean drinking water. But that's the reality. It's time to realize that living pragmatically in a seemingly senseless world is futile. It will only lead to confusion and depression. But with the realization that the Almighty God has a plan and a purpose for every person in this world, a little peace can come, because we know we can make a difference through Him. There are so many things we can do to make this world a better place, and none of them really make sense from a selfish standpoint. But the feeling of making a difference in the world can leave us with a satisfaction no amount of money or possessions can create. It makes no sense that gaining wealth can create depression, but giving it away will create satisfaction. But that's the way it is... And it's not pragmatic, it's Godly. So let's do something that doesn't make sense and find the value in it.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you so much for reading. I was inspired to write this by a speech I saw Scott Harrison give to a group of people from Zappos. I was so moved by what he's doing to help others I had to write about it. If it makes any difference to you at all, take a look at Charity: Water's website at http://www.charitywater.org/ and see what they're accomplishing. You might be amazed and inspired.

Jake