Install Your Mud Tires

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost (From the poem “The Road Less Traveled”)

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” Matthew 7:13-14

Atypical: “not representative of a type, group, or class” New Oxford American Dictionary

It's not always easy to take the road less traveled. It's often strewn with brambles and overgrowth, making the journey difficult. But the rewards can be amazing and are never typical. The path used to summit Mt. Everest is difficult and deadly, but many feel the reward for standing on the top of the world is worth every dangerous step. I'm reminded of an audio book by Zig Ziglar entititled “A View from the Top.” In it he describes some of the things it takes to not only be successful and happy, but more importantly, how to be significant. In the morning I'm going to get up, get in my car, and drive down the interstate to get to work. It's a wide road with multiple lanes to accommodate a myriad of people. Like many others, I will be on a road much traveled; but in life roads aren't always what they seem. It's possible to share a roadway with many, but be traveling a different path, with a different goal. The destination is what matters, it's what determines our path, it's what makes “The road less traveled.” What's your destination, are you on a pathway to significance, are you on the road that leads to eternal life? I have a car that I chose to put mud tires on. It's not that I'm always driving in mud, I rarely do, but when my path becomes rough I want to know I can pass through the difficult terrain. In one way, having a relationship with our Creator is like putting mud tires on a car. It will ensure life's difficulties on the road less traveled are manageable. It will give us the traction and motivation needed to pass through and get to a place where we can look down on the peaks of the highest mountains and say like the Apostle Paul in 2 Timothy 4:7. “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.”

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

As always thank you so much for reading.

Jake