Real Competition

“You'd be surprised what the opportunity to be on a team can do for someone.” Unknown

Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you. Luke 6:38

Solicitude: “care or concern for someone or something” New Oxford American Dictionary

One of the most impressive feats in sport I've ever heard of came during a special olympics foot race. Imagine nine kids lined up in their starting blocks, the starting gun fires and they all take off. Just like any other race they all run like they want to win. But during the race a boy fell, I can imagine the disappointment and embarrassment that must have overwhelmed him and he began to cry. But instead of taking advantage of someone els's misfortune and finishing the race on place ahead, every other athlete stopped, turned around, and went back to the boy who fell. A girl bent down, gave him a hug, and asked if he felt better. Then they helped him up, and side by side they all continued the race and crossed the finish line together. In a world where so many people are focused on personal accomplishment, it's good to hear a story about collective winning and solicitude. There is a place for competition, and personalities drive some people to accomplish more than others. However, this story highlights what life and sport is really about. We've all been put in this life together, and when we find ourselves way out ahead of others, that's when it's our responsibility to turn around and lend a helping hand to those who are unable to help themselves. Not because a government tells us we have to, or to show off to our peers, but because it's the right thing to do. Those special olympics athletes who sacrificed personal gain to help a fallen competitor may not be the most gifted athletes, but they have a gift that is just as significant, compassion. And I'd like to think the example they set has helped much more physically capable people, if only through inspiration alone (I knowthey've inspired me). You never know, the person we help out tomorrow, could very well be the one helping us out next week.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake