Defend Your Troops

“Leadership is practiced not so much in words as in attitude and in actions.” Harold S. Geneen

I have not coveted anyone's silver or gold or clothing. You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remember the words of the Lord Jesus Himself said: “it is more blessed to give than to receive.” Acts 20:33-35

Placate: “Make (someone) less angry or hostile” New Oxford American Dictionary

If you work in an organization and have aspirations to advance in your career as a leader, you probably find yourself balancing the needs of your peers with the needs, wants and requirements of your management. There is the viewpoint that helping those above you will lead to your own success through theirs; and there is the idea that leaders should always work for those they have charge over. Both concepts have their merits, but how you act is decided by what you want. Do you want to be a leader, or do you want rank and status? You can have all the rank in the world and not be a leader. You could even say it's easier to follow your way to the top than to lead. Leadership can begin at whatever position you're in right now, it's even possible for you to lead someone that far outranks you. Leadership is best earned by the way you treat others and conduct yourself. You cannot be granted leadership by people with power, it can only be granted to you by those who wish to follow you. With leadership comes responsibility, even if it's not formal. When someone deems you worthy of leadership, their actions become your responsibility because of the influence you can wield. As the saying goes, “The buck stops with you.” You cannot blame their shortcomings on anyone but yourself and you cannot let them become lone targets of punitive action for their mistakes. A leader must stand with their peers and followers when the heat is on. As soon as you forget about the well-being of others your leadership will be stripped from you and you will be at best a boss. A boss has the power to discipline, correct, and drive; but they have very limited power to lead. As a boss, you are still responsible for the actions of your organization, but you will have very little influence over it. As a boss of a failing organization, you will have no support under you. Like a house with a crumbling foundation, you will fall. Let's try to be leaders. It requires no position of power and can be practiced at any time. If all you've got is a dog, lead it! Even a dog will reject poor or phony leadership. We may not get credit for our affective leadership at first, but it will always be recognized by someone and will most certainly be rewarded eventually.

Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming for?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading today's journaling message, I appreciate all the responses I can get. For the full experience I can offer drop by my blog at www.selfgrowthjournal.com and become a friend of Daily Self Growth Journal on Facebook. Once again, if you're reading this, thank you.

Jake