Involved in the Future

“With meaning, many things are bearable.” Ravi Zacharias

For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope. Romans 15:4

Laconic: “(of a person, speech, or style of writing) using very few words” New Oxford American Dictionary

Speeding away from the University of Oklahoma, being chased by multiple tornados, Edna urged Kenneth to stop in a ditch to park their car under a large tree for safety. What made him accelerate past the tree is unknown, but he continued driving until they reached Anadarko. Upon returning to the university later they discovered the tree was gone. Years later married with two children and living in Seattle, Edna and Kenneth decided to take their family to the 1962 World's Fair. As Paul Allen puts it. “The official goal of the 1962 Seattle World's Fair was to inspire young people to pursue careers in science. The unofficial goal was to show that the United States had caught up with the Soviet Union in technology and the space race.” These two events, unbeknownst to the people experiencing them, helped shape the world we know today. If Edna and Kenneth Allen had died in those tornados in Oklahoma, or had avoided taking their son Paul to the World's Fair, where his imagination was sparked with the possibilities of technology and physics; there is a good chance he would have not formed the partnership he did with a young Bill Gates. A partnership that fomented ideas and confidence in both of them, and drove them to create a company called Microsoft. The aforementioned two events in history helped shape what we know to be personal computing today. Every trial, every happy event, and every circumstance we experience in life, puts us on a path to change the future. We should be aware of the limitless possibilities of the path we're on right now. It has the power to lead us to change the world, if we're willing to follow it in earnest. Or we may choose to be bystanders lining the paths of others. We'll still be influencing the future, but we may not be involved. Let's get involved.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you so much for reading.

Jake