Remedial Laughter

“A smile starts on the lips, a grin spreads to the eyes, a chuckle comes from the belly; but a good laugh bursts forth from the soul, overflows, and bubbles all around.” Carolyn Birmingham

Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them. Psalms 162:2

Remedial: “giving or intended as a remedy or cure” New Oxford American Dictionary

Imagine a sterile, cold, hard hallway with rooms full of suffering, fear, and sorrow; for many I've just described the average hospital corridor. There is nothing fun about a hospital. Nobody wants to be there and unfortunately some who go there don't leave. Hospitals are supposed to be places of healing, unfortunately they're usually seen as places of sickness. But there's a movement around the world to change the hospital environment. A movement to link the “best medicine” with professional medical care. We'll never be able to eliminate the seriousness found in sickness, but we can relieve it and make it more bearable. Studies have shown, people who laugh can withstand more pain longer, they're stress levels are reduced, and their bodies often heal faster. Right now, clown doctors are visiting children in hospitals all over the world. They're not medical doctors, but their treatments are remedial none the less. Their mission is to transmute the focus on suffering to joy. With all the sorrow that can be found in the world, we need to remember humor. Sometimes it's the only anecdote for whatever is ailing. Laughter is indescribable, and personally, I can't fake it for anything. It has an affect that is undeniable. It's a gift from God and it has a purpose. However, I don't think most of us realize its power. Speaking of hospitals, I heard there was a man admitted the other day after losing his left arm in an accident. He's all right now. Sorry for the bad joke.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you so much for reading,

Jake