Missing

“In true love the smallest distance is too great, and the greatest distance can be bridged.” Hans Nouwens

Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27 (Christ to His disciples)

Tangible: “perceptible by touch” New Oxford American Dictionary

In the tumultuous world we live in right now, children of military members are finding themselves without a parent for extended periods of time. I remember as a kid hating that my dad even had to go to work. I remember asking my mom all day, when dad was gonna get home. So I can't imagine what it must be like for families to be separated for such long periods of time, especially when it's hard for a child to understand the reason for their separation. To that end, Elaine Dumlar has taken on the challenge of helping separated military families. She's written best selling books and created the “Flat Daddy” and “Flat Mommy” programs. A flat daddy or mommy is simply a life size cardboard cutout of a child's separated parent. The image provides a tangible object that helps a child keep their parent close in their heart if they cannot be close physically. You may not be affected by the separation from a close family member, but in a way, aren't we all members of a separated family? God is not physically with us, and the tangible evil that plagues this world leaves us asking when our separation will end. But God has not left us completely alone. He's left us with His own sort of flat daddy. He's left us His word in the Bible and promised to provide us with the Holy Spirit to be His influence in our lives. It's our job to make sure our hearts are open to His communications so that we can always feel close to Him throughout our separation. Jesus says, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with Me.” Revelation 3:20 I can't explain it, but faith in Him and His love for us provides something that is not necessarily tangible, but is definitely perceptible. Today, technology has come a long way in closing the gap in relations between separated family members. And while we can't Skype God, we can get on our knees and have a conversation. He is too glorious to look at in our current fallen state, but He makes His presence known to those who seek Him. Let's not forget to seek those whom we are separated from. Whether they be our earthly or Heavenly Father, communication is the key to closeness.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake