Chapter 14

"Wait

"Wait." I gulped down any fear or nerves as I called out to Tommy, made him halt his exit from the room, from this house, for god knows how long.

He turned and raised an eyebrow. Impatient.

"I want to speak to you," I said.

"It'll have to wait."

I scowled. "No. It won't. Sit back down."

"Or?" Tommy asked, eyebrow still raised, turning slightly.

"Or you'll have me to contend with, and you haven't seen me truly angry yet."

Tommy shook his head and muttered something I could not catch, but mercifully came back and sat once more. The house was quiet. It was dark. We were alone.

"I think I know what this is about." Before I could respond, Tommy placed a wad of cash notes on the table before us. "Your first wage. Welcome aboard."

I stared at him in shock. "You think I'm trying to extort money from you?"

"I think we had an agreement," he replied slowly.

"An agreement we haven't even undertaken yet."

He frowned. "Meaning?"

"You haven't even been here. Where have you been?"

"That is none of your concern," he said coolly.

"Actually, while I'm still being treated like a prisoner, it is. I haven't been able to even leave the house in days. Escaping from prison would have been easier than getting down to the Garrison."

"Don't be so sure," he muttered. Then, louder, "It's not safe. Your father will have men in Small Heath, you can count on it. You really want to come across them down a narrow alley?"

"Then arm me," I demanded. "I can protect myself."

"No. You can't," he said harshly. "None of us can. That's why we stick together."

"House arrest was never a part of our agreement!" I insisted. "If you want to work together, you're going to have to trust me."

"It's not that I don't trust you."

"Then what is it?"

"I'm trying to protect you." The words were practically a shout, echoing through the room, a stark contrast from Tommy's usual composed self. His face betrayed no emotion, his jaw tightened as he brought a cigarette to his lips. He flickered his lighter once, twice, then a third time, scowling when no flame came forth. Finally he closed his eyes and gave a deep, long sigh.

"You tried to kill me," I said quietly.

"No. I tried to set you free."

I squared my jaw. "Then do so." He still didn't answer. "Look, if you're really so worried, I'll stick with Arthur and John. I won't leave the house alone."