Chapter 81

If we jerked our guns to shoot Sabini now, we'd be dead before we could even fire them

Around a dozen other men pointed theirs at us. It was infuriating — Sabini didn't even have a gun himself. He had a smug grin across his face, and he was in no rush as he walked towards us.

I spoke silently to Tommy, hoping he could sense what I was conveying. Don't shoot. Not yet. Just wait.

Sabini finally stopped around ten metres in front of us. He turned to glance at our house, half demolished and barely standing. He shrugged.

"I am sorry about the house," he said. "It was a nice one."

"You won't be the one apologising to us," Tommy threatened in his calm voice.

Sabini grinned. "Thomas Shelby. I hear you have children now. Where are they?"

"Fuck you," I spat.

His eyes flickered to me for the first time. "Fuck me? No, girl. Fuck your father who rained down bullets on my men."

"That was years ago," I said through clenched teeth. "And I had nothing to do with it."

"Yet, you have stolen all my business." His smile widened. "Cheated and lied and whored your way to being the biggest criminal in Britain."

"Say that again, Sabini, and I'll flay you before I kill you," Tommy said.

"No, no," Sabini said. "There is no reason for any of us to die. Simply sign my racecourses back to me, and we can all walk away nicely."

I let out a sharp laugh. "You'll just let us go? I don't think so."

"You, yes. But I know where your children are." An evil gleam shot through his eyes. "I'll take their lives as compensation. Don't worry. You can always have more. Compared to most of my enemies, you'll be lucky."

That was Tommy's final straw. He shot at Sabini, and in the same second, a man shot at him. He fell backwards, a circle of crimson forming across his chest. Wide-eyed, stunned and winded, his lips parted as he gasped for air.

No. No no no. Time stood still. I crawled across to him, clutched at his arms, shook him. His eyes slid to mine. We exchanged a glance.

It was over. We were going to die. I bent down and pressed my forehead to his chest, closing my eyes against the falling tears.

"Polly will look after them," he murmured, so quietly only I could hear. "They'll have the sense to leave the country. And my brothers will avenge us."

I silently sobbed into him. I didn't want to die. I didn't want to leave our children orphans. I didn't want to be separated from Tommy. I was terrified that instead of a heaven, or a hell which we would surely rule over together; there would just be nothing. I clutched him, wanting to savour every piece of him I could before we were gone.

"Kimber. Look at me." I did, my eyes burning with tears and fury. His own face was calm as he stroked my hair. "Just look at me," he murmured. "It's just us. You and me. That's all this is."

I heard a gun click. I whimpered, threatening to break. Footsteps were getting closer. If I lifted my arm and shot at any of them now, I'd take a bullet to the head.

"Don't look," Tommy ordered. He kept caressing my hair, as though this was an ordinary day and we were lying in the paddock together. "It's just us, sweetheart." He swallowed, and his Adam's apple bobbed in his throat. "In the bleak midwinter..." he said slowly.

I opened my mouth to say it with him, but then something flicked inside me. No. This piece of shit asshole of a man Sabini was not going to do this to us. If we died, we died. We'd had a good life together.

But if we died, I was taking him right fucking down with us. If I was to receive a bullet in the brain, it would be because I'd killed the man who'd taken so much from us. Not because I was cowering in fear.

Tommy saw the change in me. He gave a small nod. "Get him, Mrs Shelby."

I lifted and shot.