Tommy pov 5 - Michael's first report

Tommy was a patient man, but waiting for this had almost pushed him to the edge.

Michael was meant to be here an hour ago. And with every second that ticked past, Polly's glare grew darker and darker. They both knew what danger they'd put the boy in.

And Tommy thought he might unravel if anything had happened.

Not out of concern for Michael. Not even for Polly's wrath that would follow, dividing the family. But because he would have no way of knowing how Kimber was.

He'd heard she'd taken over her father's business while he was in prison. The news had ignited a flare in his gut ever since — he knew what this lifestyle entailed. What enemies would do to a woman like Kimber. He refused to let that happen. To let any harm come to her.

He'd become almost obsessive, deep in the recesses of his mind. Fuelled by his own self-loathing that he'd done this, he'd caused this.

All of this waged a war in his head, but outwardly he still looked cold. Nobody noticed how tightly he gripped the whiskey glass, or how tensely he held his jaw.

If Michael wasn't here soon, he'd have to go to her.

If he was being perfectly honest, he rejoiced at the excuse.

When the door opened, he released a sigh of both relief and disappointment.

"Michael," Polly said, leaving the room to get her son at once. "What took you so long?"

They both reentered, Polly's hand clutching her son by the elbow. Michael still had an awkward unease about him in this new life, with these new people, Tommy noticed. Not that he could blame him.

"Sorry," Michael said. "Train got held up."

Tommy fought the urge to pin his cousin against the wall and demand to know everything. "All went well, then?" He asked instead.

Michael nodded hesitantly. "I think so."

Polly shook her head, and for a moment Tommy worried she'd put her foot down and refuse him to go back. It had only been Tommy's pointing out that this was good work experience for Michael, that he'd be running books rather than getting into trouble, that had barely swayed her.

But Polly surprised him. "How's she doing?" She asked Michael.

"She's..." Michael cast around for words for a moment. He took a seat, his eyes flickering to the whiskey. Tommy stared at his cousin in expectation, before relenting and pouring him a glass. He ignored Polly's frown.

"Well, she's something, isn't she," Michael mumbled, taking a sip.

Polly's gaze flickered to Tommy before asking another question. "Is she well?"

"I don't know," Michael said quietly. "I didn't know her before, but... she has a sort of dead look to her eyes." Pain seared across Tommy's head like a migraine. Michael  became more relaxed as he drank. "The other Boys say she's barely recognisable from the Kimber they knew before she left."

"How are they tolerating her?" Tommy asked. He knew they'd distrust her after so much time spent in Small Heath, after almost marrying a Shelby...

"They don't know how much is rumour and how much is fact," Michael replied. "But they're too afraid of Billy to do anything."

"And what are her plans?" Tommy asked coldly. This was the part he'd been most anxious to hear, the part that would alert him to any danger she was in.

Michael met his gaze. "We agreed I'd keep an eye on her. Not snitch on her."

Tommy held the eye contact. Only a day in Kimber's presence, and Michael had defected sides faster than Ada could say Marxist.

He couldn't blame him. But he was all too aware that Michael would be in a trusted position to Kimber. Able to spend time with her each day. Able to look at her. Console her, laugh with her.

Something shifted in Tommy's expression, and it was enough to rattle Michael into speaking again. "But the Boys think there's an Informant among them," he said. "Billy's plans kept getting leaked. Mostly to someone called Sabini in London."

An Informant? Tommy sighed, flicking his cigarette ash. Nothing could ever be peaceful and simple, could it?

"Find him," he ordered Michael.

Michael nodded. Tommy raised his eyebrows. "Is there anything else?"

Michael looked as though he wanted to say more, but chose not to. Yet there was no mistaking the way he glared at Tommy. Full of accusation. He realised, in that moment, how badly Kimber must still be hurting. How much damage he had caused her.

As if he needed another reason to see her and beg for his own death.

"That'll be all then," Tommy said, standing and leaving the room before his emotions could betray him. "Good work, Michael."

One thing was certain, unmoving in his mind. He needed to see her again.