Chapter 48

The car seemed to hit every bump and pothole as we drove south

Excitement fluttered in my stomach. This was my first offensive move against the Peaky Blinders, and I'd been able to think about nothing else since we began planning it two days ago. Even the other Boys had gotten hyped up, filled with confidence as the time drew nearer. The only one still not participating with enthusiasm was Michael.

"Michael, you're dampening the mood," I sighed, interrupting his silence and glum expression in the car. "Why did you insist on coming?"

"Sorry, Miss," he quickly said. "Just not used to gunfire, is all."

"There won't be any gunfire," I reminded him. "It's a victimless crime. And we'll be out of the way while they deal with the Blinders at the warehouse."

"You're right, Miss. Forgive me." His forehead creased. "How did we know about the guns' movements? Was it... did you overhear during your time at Small Heath?"

My lips drew into a thin line. "No. My father still has spies stationed there. Some lower member of the Blinders at the pub started hollering about a very important job. My father passed the information onto me."

"You didn't betray them," Michael said quietly. "I thought you had."

"Not this time. But believe me, Michael," I seethed. "They've betrayed me plenty."

"I'm sorry, Miss. Truly."

He looked pained as we sat in silence for a moment longer. "I like you, Miss." He couldn't quite meet my gaze. "I like being around you. And I like working for you."

I registered what he was saying. But there was something in his Birmingham drawl, in the way he held himself, that made me think only of Tommy in that moment. In a brief, bizarre moment, I wondered if Thomas Shelby had actually possessed Michael instead — even their eyes seemed to have the same coloured sheen.

But Michael was waiting for a response. And it wasn't his fault Tommy had hurt me already.

I patted him briskly on the knee. "I'm fond of you too, Michael. I'd be lost without you."

I'd meant in a business sense, of course, but my words seemed to thicken the air between us.

Our car came to a stop. The driver dimmed his headlights. The headlights of another of our cars shone from where they'd stopped behind us, while two more continued half a mile or so down the road, to the warehouse. We waited in the dark. My breath fogged in the cold air, and I clasped my gloved hands together to keep them warm. I buzzed and jittered with excitement. We waited for the signal. We waited.

A double flash of the headlights. The Blinder men were down.

Grubs started the car and we set off down the road.

But when we pulled up to the warehouse, I could see instantly that something was wrong. Our Boys were arguing between themselves, shouting and pushing each other. Almost brawling.

"Stay in the car, Miss," Grubs said, opening his door and getting out.

"Fuck that," I muttered, getting out myself.

My heeled boots tapped on the concrete as I walked across to where Grubs was breaking up the fight.

"What is going on?" I asked. "Get the bloody guns loaded before anyone spots us."

"There are no fucking guns," one man spat. "The place is completely fucking empty."

My blood chilled. "No," I whispered. "Look again. Look harder."

"Look yourself." He scowled at another man. "Either we've got the wrong information, or someone's ratted on us."

Arms folded across my chest, I walked to the warehouse with big strides. Grubs handed me a torch. I shone it across the warehouse. Just as the man had said, completely empty.

Not completely.

I pressed my lips together as I walked slowly to the nearest corner. I bent down to the concrete floor, and picked up the object.

A pair of handcuffs.

"They're laughing at us," I murmured.

I jolted into action. Furious. Blood boiling. I stormed back to where the others were still arguing, their words silenced and their movements stilled as I approached.

"They're fucking laughing at us," I shouted, drawing my pistol. My chest heaved with each breath. Fuck Thomas Shelby. Fuck Thomas Shelby. I panned my gun across the Boys. "Which one of you fuckers is in bed with the Peaky Blinders?"

"Calm down, Miss Kimber," one muttered, lifting his hands in surrender. "Might have been a prison guard overheard your father. Might have been we got the wrong night."

"They changed the night. Because they knew." I saw red. "And every single person who knew about the plan, is here. So one of you had better start talking, or I begin blowing your kneecaps."

Nobody said a word. There was only thick silence.

"Fine," I breathed. "We can do this the hard way."

I pointed the gun at the closest man's leg. He began to tremble.

"I must warn you, my aim's not what it was," I said calmly. "I do apologise if I hit an artery."

"No, Miss, please," he whispered. "It wasn't me. I've worked for your father for twenty years now, I'd never—"

"A car's coming," Michael said, his voice low.

True to his word, a pair of headlights grew closer and closer. All the men drew their guns. Some ran and hid for cover. But I did not. Adrenaline pulsed through my veins. Fear couldn't touch me now.

I'd simply kill whoever stepped out of the car when it stopped. I hoped it would be Tommy.

The door slowly opened. My torch was blinding.

Arthur Shelby blinked. "Fucking hell, Kimber. It's like the Blackpool fucking illuminations out here."

I lowered my gun. "Don't shoot," I called to the others. "Arthur. Care to tell me what's going on?"

"In the warehouse," he sighed. "Come on. Let's talk."

Grubs stepped forward, gun still raised. "I don't think so."

"Grubs, it's alright," I told him. "You keep this lot in line. Arthur and I are going to have a little chat."