Chapter 63

We drove a few miles out into the country, moors surrounding us on either side

We drove a few miles out into the country, moors surrounding us on either side. Tommy rested a hand on me the entire time, changing gears with his steering hand so as not to break the contact. He held me like he needed me, like I needed him. It was all that kept me from falling apart.

We turned down a side road and he took a long, winding drive. We crossed a cattle grid and passed fields of cows, sheep, and rows of trees. The road turned again, and a magnificent arch of greenery appeared before us, the archway extending above us all along the drive. If I reached out, I might have brushed my fingers against the vines and ferns.

Another turn and we came to a house. White brick, large windows, and other buildings dotted around. There were flowers along the path, rose bushes and lillies, hearts of pink and white across the green grass. The rain had left a light misting of dew.

"This place is beautiful," I whispered, mesmerised.

"Wait until you see the back," Tommy said, turning off the car and coming round to open my door.

Round the back of the property was a long, large stables, and I could make out an outdoor arena behind. There were four horses already settled in, and a couple more throughout the paddocks, rugged up. The building could have housed twenty, thirty... even more.

Behind us, chickens cawed, free ranging their paddock. A long porch wrapped around the house, and back here there was a wooden love seat, beside a small table. A book and a vase of fresh flowers.

Tommy wrapped his arms around me from behind. "Do you like it?" He murmured, his breath sending goosebumps across my neck.

"It's beautiful," I whispered. "I've never seen anything like it." I turned my head to glance at him. "Don't tell me this is your secret new house."

He chuckled. "No, Kimber. This is yours."

I froze. "What?"

"A wedding present." He kissed my cheek. "I have the deed in the car. Dated months ago, on the day we would have been wed. I was going to bring us here straight afterward. This is where we would have started a life together."

I turned in his arms, examining his face for any sign of deception. But he was open. He was vulnerable. And I saw it, without a doubt.

He had healed.

"It's all in your name," he said. "You can sell it, if you want. Use the funds to buy back your father's house. Your business."

He held me at my neck, drawing a thumb softly across my cheek. My heart skipped beating. "Or, if you'd like," he continued, "we could stay here. This would be our home. Those are rescues," he nodded to the horses. "Ex-racers. We could take them all in here when they're done racing. Run the farm."

I let out a soft laugh as tears fell from my eyes. For the first time in a long time, they weren't from pain. "I don't know the first thing about farming," I told him.

"Well, fuck. Neither do I." He laughed with me, and his own eyes became glossy. "I'm guessing it's different to hiding bodies. But I'm sure we'll find a way to do both."

He sank to one knee, pulling a velvet box from his pocket. This can't be happening, I thought, clasping my hands across my mouth. A light breeze picked up the air, drenching us in a dusting of pollen.

"I love you," Tommy said, gazing up from where he knelt before me. "I promise to always love you. And you have every right to hate me for what I've done. But I fucking love you, Kimber. I want to make you happy. I want to make you smile, every single day, for the rest of our lives. I want to kiss you when you're covered in blood, because some poor bastard pissed you off." I let out a small laugh, and he smiled, eyes welling with tears once more as he continued. "I want you to fight me on every decision, like you always have. I want you in my kitchen, I want you on my horses, I want you in my bed. Because I'm only a whole man when I'm with you."

He opened the box, revealing the most beautiful ring I'd ever seen in my life. An oval diamond on a golden band. It glittered in the sun, casting a reflection on Tommy, on me. On us.

"Marry me," he murmured. "Not because of my family. Or because of some Lee girl. Not because we feel that we have to. But because I want to spend every day of the rest of my life waking up to you." He took a breath. "Would you do me the honour of taking me as your husband?"

Tears fell from my eyes. My chest swelled with happiness, disbelief, and giddiness. "Yes," I told him, unable to stop the smile spreading across my face. "Yes, Thomas Shelby."

He exhaled a sigh of relief, before smiling back at me, showing that row of perfectly straight teeth. He slipped the ring onto my finger. A perfect fit.

He stood and kissed me, pressing his lips against mine, breathing the same air. He held me close and I held him close until our bodies felt like they were one and the same. I was his, and he was mine.

"We don't have to keep the farm," he murmured against my lips, inbetween kissing me. "We can sell it. I know your business means a lot to you."

"Before I met you, I used to dream about a place like this," I whispered. "How did you know?"

"Because I see you, Kimber. Because I want to give you the world."

His lips moved to my neck. I became lost in thought for a moment, smile still plastered across my face. "You say this is all in my name?" I asked him.

"All yours, sweetheart." He grasped me by the legs. I let out a yelp as he lifted me, wrapping my legs around his waist as he carried me to the door. "Maybe we should check the bedroom before you decide."

Heat rose between my legs, but I controlled myself, even as I felt him growing against me. "I have an idea," I told him, pressing my lips to his as we moved. "How we could keep this place, and save my business."

"You can tell me while my head's between your legs," he murmured.

I laughed and he joined me, more carefree than I'd ever known him.

We were happy. Finally happy together.

In our line of work, I could only hope it would last.