Chapter 64

Tommy ran his fingers across my bare arm, my back

Tommy ran his fingers across my bare arm, my back. Every touch sent me a little further into heaven, wrapped in our post-coital gaze — for the third time since arriving on the farm.

I gave a small sigh of contentment as the smell of cigarette smoke drifted across us both on the bed. Opening my eyes, I saw he'd lit one, laying peacefully against the headboard beside me.

"Marry me tonight," he said, linking his fingers through my own.

"It doesn't work like that," I reminded him.

He tilted his head. "Why not?"

"Because... everyone's busy."

"Nothing that can't wait until tomorrow," he said.

"They don't even know we're engaged."

"Can't imagine they'll be surprised."

I stared in incredulity, but Tommy was so calm, so at peace.

"I don't have a dress."

"You don't need one." He tapped out the cigarette in the ashtray and turned to me fully, wrapping me in his arms and kissing my neck. "You could marry me in these bedsheets and still be beautiful."

"I don't think I want your brothers seeing me in just a bedsheet."

"Be more worried about Michael." Tommy trailed his lips down to my chest. "Doubt he'll be able to contain himself at the sight."

"You're so mean to poor Michael," I sighed, tangling my fingers in Tommy's hair.

"And you're so mean to me," he murmured against my skin. "Not marrying me fast enough."

His head dropped to my navel. I became dizzy once more, frowning — I didn't need the nausea to return, not now. Not when this felt so good.

"Everything alright, love?" Tommy asked, glancing at me in concern.

I marvelled at the sight of him. Like a fallen angel, he was the most gorgeous thing I'd ever seen, or ever would see. I loved him so much it brought fresh tears to my eyes. Why was I so emotional? Even for someone newly engaged, everything felt heightened, like every thread attaching me to Tommy pulled against my skin.

"We'll wait," he promised, mistaking my silence, pushing himself up to kiss my forehead. "You're right. We need to give everyone more time."

"I don't need more time," I whispered. I pulled him closer. His skin was so smooth against my own, every muscle of his body firm against me. "I want you to be mine. Tonight."

Our lips met, a giddying blend of tobacco and fresh water. I pulled away just long enough to say, "We might have trouble finding a celebrant."

"I'll point a gun at the first one I find, and he'll be here before sundown," Tommy smiled against my lips.