Chapter 82

Adrenaline pumped through me.

I was alight, my movements slowed, time passing me in a haze. It took an infinity to squeeze my finger and pull the trigger.

Several other things happened at the same time.

Other shots broke out all around us.

Sabini's men began falling where they stood.

Blood splattered across the grass.

Arthur, John, and Michael rushed forward, heavily armed, wearing their caps, and taking down every man around us.

And my bullet went straight through Sabini.

As soon as he was down, I threw myself on top of Tommy, covering him with as much of me as I could as the gunfire continued around us. He couldn't afford to take another bullet. The shooting persisted and I squeezed my eyes shut until it finished.

When a gentle touch came at my shoulder, I flinched upright, bringing up my gun and aiming it at his head.

Michael blinked, holding his hands up. "It's me, Miss. It's okay. It's over. They're dead."

Arthur and John ran across to us. Arthur swore, his face paling as he saw Tommy.

"Get us a doctor," I ordered, my voice trembling. "There's a phone in the stables office. Now!"

Michael took off at a sprint. I ripped my gown free, not giving a shit that I was bleeding profusely, or that I was left in my lingerie in front of Tommy's brothers. I pressed the fabric to his chest.

"Feels like we've been here before, eh Kimber?" Tommy said.

"You didn't die on me then, and you're not going to now," I replied shakily. I turned to John. "How... how did you...?"

"Because Michael let slip that you pair of idiots were planning on accosting Sabini on your own," John said. "We were only coming to lend our assistance. But when we saw the explosion..." he gulped. "Fuck, we'd have been here sooner if we'd known."

"You came," Tommy said. "You saved our lives."

"Don't go getting sappy on us, Tom," said Arthur.

But I wasn't past getting sappy. I yanked both Shelby brothers down and wrapped my arms around them, unable to put my gratitude into words.

Michael returned, cheeks flushing when he saw me in my underwear. He refused to look at me. But I was past caring about such things, and I gave him a hug every bit as large as I'd given his cousins.

"The doctor's coming," he mumbled, cheeks still red. He turned to Thomas when I released him. "Are you alright?"

Tommy nodded, pushing himself to a sitting position. All the blood drained from his face and I frowned, but he could still talk, and he was still pressing my gown against the wound. "It's cleaner than it was after Dorset," he said. "I can feel the difference."

Michael's eyes widened in shock as he saw the bullet wound in my leg. "You're hurt."

"I can barely feel it," I answered honestly. "Must be all the adrenaline."

"Don't tell the doctor that when he arrives," John grinned. "Say it's painful and they'll prescribe you this liquid, and it..." he trailed off after a stern look from Tommy.

Tommy. My husband, my soulmate. I pressed my hand over his, over the wound on his chest. The others backed off, mumbling that they'd go down the driveway and make sure the doctor could find the place. Tommy and I barely noticed them. We only had eyes for each other.

"We got him," I said. "We got Sabini." I looked up and glanced across the grounds at the setting sun. I had a place of my own. I had all the horses I could ever want. And I had all the power I could ever imagine. And mostly importantly, I had Tommy. "I got everything I ever wanted," I told him quietly.

"You earned it all, love." His eyes shone. "You make me the proudest man alive to be your husband."

He pressed my hand to his lips. I saw the exertion it cost him. But I knew he would survive. I could feel it.

We were going to be okay.

"What now?" I whispered.

"Now we live a long, and happy life together."

We watched the black car snake up the driveway, the doctor coming to patch us up. Tommy sighed, and I leaned into him. We sat there, arms around each other, and we watched the sun disappear over the treetops.

"Now we get our happy ever after."