Chapter 37

My blood ran cold

My blood ran cold. I'd recognise that voice anywhere.

"Shouldn't you be working at the pub?" I asked Grace, unperturbed by the gun in her hand. "Or are you back to being a copper now? Surely you can't do both. The amount of illegal activities you've condoned right below your nose..."

"Save it," Grace said coldly. "Billy Kimber, you are under arrest, courtesy of an ongoing undercover investigation into your illicit dealings. You may—"

My father began to laugh, the corners of his eyes crinkling. "Very good. Now, put the gun away, darling, before you hurt yourself."

"You heard the man." I turned around, and never before in my life had I been so relieved to see Arthur Shelby. "Put the gun away."

He was wearing a suit and bow-tie, still fresh in his wedding attire. John lingered behind him and, rounding the corner, fuck, it couldn't be...

"Ah, Thomas Shelby," Grace smirked. "Do join us. Come witness the fruits of your labour."

Tommy refused to even look at me. He was as cold as I'd ever known him. "We had a deal."

"Yes, we'll forget all about your guns," Grace said. "Or perhaps we won't. I suppose we'll see." Her gun was still aimed at my father's head.

"Kimber," Arthur said to me quietly, holding out a hand. "Step away. Come on."

I stared at Tommy. "What's going on?"

But he stayed silent. He continued to refuse to look at me, staring at Grace and my father instead.

"What'll it be, Tommy?" Grace asked. "Will you tell your little chess piece about our alliance, or shall I?"

"You keep your fucking mouth shut, or I'll splatter you across the pavement."

"I'm terrified," Grace replied emotionlessly. She turned to me with a smug smile. "You poor thing. Even wearing the dress, and all. You would have actually gone through with it. That's heartless, Tom, even for you."

"I'm warning you." Thomas slipped a hand into his pocket. Both John and Arthur looked ready to do the same.

"Fine. I'll let you do the talking." Grace cuffed my father's hands. I was still in shock, still numb. "Billy, you're coming with me."

"You led me into a trap," he said to me. "This is your doing."

"No," I whispered. "No, I had no idea, father, I—"

But Grace steered him away and through the streets, leaving me with the Shelby's. Alone. I watched her receding blonde head. I wrapped my fist around the pistol in my pocket. I shook with anger. I was past being rational. I pulled the gun and loaded a bullet into the chamber.

And then I aimed it at Thomas.

"Speak," I hissed. "Right now."

Tommy sighed. He put a cigarette between his lips and lit it. "I was offered a deal. Trade your father, and receive immunity in certain Shelby business activities."