Chapter 65

Polly walked over to where I stood alone beside the arch, squeezing my hands in her own

Polly walked over to where I stood alone beside the arch, squeezing my hands in her own. "You look beautiful," she told me.

"Thank you," I said, but it was accompanied by another wave of rolling nausea.

Hitting me like a freight train. I felt awful.

"Are you alright?" She asked, face tightening. "You've turned green."

"Just the last of a stomach flu, I think," I explained, lowering myself into the nearest chair. "I'll be alright in a minute."

Thankfully, everyone else had migrated indoors to get drinks. I thought it was safe to put my head down, just as Tommy had told me to do. It helped last time.

"Kimber..." I lifted my head, and saw Polly trying hard not to smile. "When was your last menstrual cycle?"

My brow drew together, puzzled. I tried to think.

"While I was recovering at home after being stabbed," I recalled. "I was still too sore to drive. I had to send Michael to get... supplies."

"So... almost two months ago?"

I glanced up at Polly, my eyes wide. "No, it wasn't that long. It can't have been."

But it was. Almost a month had passed since Tommy visited me after cuffing him to the chair. A whirlwind few weeks of everything with the house. And it has been more than a fortnight before that I last bled.

And I remembered how Tommy had filled me completely. How new the sensation had been.

My hands instinctively reached for my abdomen. I thought about Ada's own swollen stomach.

Suddenly the nausea got worse.

"It's a beautiful thing," Polly told me, rubbing a hand across my back as I lowered my head again. "But you have options, of course. If you aren't ready."

I thought it through. If things were still rocky between Tommy and I, if I was still busy holding together my father's empire, I would have felt differently. But now everything had changed. I loved him. He loved me.

He was my husband.

And if what Polly was saying was true, if there was a baby inside of me... half me and half Tommy Shelby...

"I'm ready," I whispered, eyes squeezed shut. "But I don't know if he is."

"Tommy will be a great father," Polly said. "And he adores you." When I didn't answer, she stood to her feet. "Come. I know just the pick-me-up for the sickness."

"Not alcohol," I said quickly. "I couldn't stomach it."

"Just a ginger beer," she reassured me. "No alcohol in it."

We went inside together. Everyone gathered through the great room and the dining room, where a makeshift bar had been created. Polly found a ginger beer and poured it into a glass, handing it to me with a wink.

"This way nobody knows," she told me.

I thanked her and sipped, the ginger taste and gentle bubbles slowly but surely soothing the sick feeling. I was still in shock. A baby...

"Congratulations," Michael said, standing beside me. We looked out of the open French doors together, across the farm.

"Thank you." I frowned slightly. "You told Tommy, didn't you? About losing the house. That's why he was waiting for us."

"No," Michael replied, if I wasn't mistaken, through slightly clenched teeth. "I didn't say a word. Mum says he only stopped by to have her sign some paperwork. And now you're a married woman."

"Now we're kin," I agreed.

Michael pulled a face, but raised his drink in a toast. "I'm going to miss working with you," he said.

"Who says we have to stop?" Michael looked puzzled, but I continued to speak. "I'll have some work for you in the morning, Michael. My husband would like to buy fifty-percent of this property. That should be enough money to reinstate the Birmingham Boys in my name, should it not?"

Realisation dawned on Michael. He slowly nodded. "That it should, miss."

"I don't want any of them coming here, of course. We'll need new premises. Only what we can afford — the Peaky Blinders have been kind enough to agree we can use their stables and tracks around the country while we get reestablished. A few more big races and we can look at upsizing."

"I'll get onto it first thing."

A familiar arm circled my waist. "I hope you're not discussing business at our wedding," Tommy said as he joined us, pale eyes reflecting the overhead lights.

"Have you not discussed any all evening?" I asked him.

He wisely chose not to answer. I leaned into him, but the usual butterflies in his presence had become anxious knots winding in my stomach. He'd been so clear when I'd first known him that he didn't want children. I was terrified to ruin this, to wreck what we had.

Michael cleared his throat. "I'd better go find mum," he mumbled, before leaving.

Tommy pulled back from me, eyebrows knitted together as he glanced at me. "What's the matter?" He asked.

"You know me too well."

"I can feel your heartbeat going a hundred miles an hour," he said. "Tell me."

I shook my head. "Not tonight."

"Kimber..." he warned.

I wrapped my arms around his neck. "I'm Mrs Shelby now," I whispered into him. "Or have you already forgotten?"

He kissed me softly. "You are my Mrs Shelby," he agreed, "but you'll always be Kimber when you're testing my patience."

"I'll tell you in the morning." I took a deep, shuddering breath. "Can you live with that?"

He kissed the top of my head. It was the closest to agreement I was going to get out of him. "Not having second thoughts, are you?" He murmured.

"Never," was my reply, finding his lips with my own, finding my peace.

After a minute, he pulled away. "Come on," he said, taking me by the hand. "John's about to kick off the speeches."

"Lord have mercy," I muttered, which made Tommy grin.

"And then I'd like to dance with you at least once on our wedding night."

"Once?" I frowned. "I want at least an hour from you, Shelby."

His eyes glittered with love and appreciation. "An hour it is."