Chapter 78

3 years later

3 years later

I'd spent a whole day at the racecourse.

Surrounded by bodyguards, causing every grown man in attendance to duck their heads and mutter a quick, deferent "Mrs Shelby," each time I passed them.

I'd become notorious. No police Inspector in all of England could hold me in a cell longer than an hour before I was released, where Michael would sign me out and I'd see Tommy leaning against our Rolls-Royce, smoking a cigarette with a smile in his eyes.

But that last occurrence had been over a year ago.  Now, the law enforcement simply stopped bothering. I could walk wherever I pleased. Could probably shoot someone in broad daylight if I needed to, though I still maintained an element of discretion. And today, I'd spent my time at the last of Sabini's racecourses in England.

It was all mine.

I now owned every single one in the country.

Thanks to the intelligence Grubs had given us while Tommy and Michael pulled his teeth one-by-one, we'd been able to infiltrate Sabini's empire. The few men still loyal to him had scarpered. Nobody had seen Sabini himself in weeks. But we had a plan to coax him out.

This had been a long time in the making.

I pushed open the front door of our house, shedding my crime persona and softening, much as Tommy as always did. My spine relaxed a little, my feet aching as I slipped the designer heels from my feet. I heard a soft giggle from the other room. My lips twitched into a smile.

"Come find us, mum," Tommy called out.

I strode slowly through the halls, running a hand along the luxury panelled walls.

"Where could you all be?" I asked.

Another fit of laughter. I entered the living room, with gleaming checkered tiles, long, velvet sofas, and a crackling fire. Thank goodness Tommy had insisted on getting a maid. The place would be caked in mud and horse fur, otherwise.

"Are you... here?" I asked, pulling back a thick, emerald curtain.

The kids laughed again from their hiding spot. "Shh," Tommy warned them.

"Hmm." I strode across the room, and lifted the ottoman lid. "Here?"

They laughed again. I smiled, heading for the nearest sofa, where the toe of a tiny riding boot poked out. "Found you!"

TJ squealed with delight, leaping out from the hiding spot.

His twin brother, Warner, yelled "Again, again!". They were both identical — dark haired and bright eyed, just like their father and his brothers. In fact, between them and their younger brother, Benedict, who was only a year old, they could have been a reincarnation of Tommy, Arthur and John. That is, if Tommy, Arthur and John had grown up in miniature breeches and polo shirts, still wearing their riding boots and child-sized Peaky Blinders caps.

"You didn't take your hats and boots off," I scolded them lovingly, scooping both twins up into my arms while Benedict grasped Tommy's glasses from his face.

"Sorry, love," Tommy said, standing and kissing me. "They're troublemakers, just like their father."

I stroked his cheek with my thumb. "Polly said to drop them off after eight."

"Aunt Pol?" TJ asked in his innocent voice. "Yay! Aunt Pol!"

He and Warner clapped excitedly, wriggling out of my arms and chasing each other round the house in excitement. Benedict toddled after them out of sight, desperate to be included in the fun.

"How did today go?" Tommy asked me.

"It's ours," I said.

"Fucking hell." He lifted me in the air, stuck somewhere between amusement and disbelief. "That's it? That's the last one?"

"That's the last one."

He murmured against me, "Do you mean to tell me that my wife owns every racecourse in England?"

"From Cornwall to Northumberland." I returned his kiss. "But don't go slacking on me, Shelby, there's still work to do. I plan to conquer Wales next."

He let out a low chuckle. "We'll celebrate." Then he cleared his throat, remembering what we were doing tonight. "Afterwards."

"The whiskey will taste so much better with Sabini's blood on our hands," I said.

We were both quiet for a moment. I wondered if Tommy had the same gut-churning feeling I had, the same sense that something was off.

But this was our only chance to get Sabini. And he was less than a shadow of his former self — he had no power, no men, nothing. He'd already taken one of our children. Now I'd taken his empire. And I needed to finish the job. Even if I did have a sinking feeling, an internal voice screaming, don't do it. I couldn't give into fear. I wouldn't be where I was today if I did.

"Kimber," Tommy said quietly, his eyebrows lowered in hesitation. "Do you..."

A knock at the door interrupted whatever he'd been about to say.