Chapter 32

It was dark when I woke

It was dark when I woke. I must have slept through the day, exhausted from not having slept since our last night in the hotel. I couldn't feel Tommy beside me at first and I worried he'd left — but as I rolled over, his arms encased me once more.

"Good evening," he said, kissing me on the forehead.

I snuggled against him. "What time is it?"

"Just gone seven."

"Have we slept the whole day?"

Tommy pulled back to appraise me with a glance. "Is there something more important you'd rather be doing?"

I trailed a finger across the buttons of his shirt. "No. You need to rest."

"I think you needed it more than I did."

"How's the pain?"

"Better." He shifted slightly. "You're good medicine."

I noticed in the dim light the spots of blood had disappeared from his shirt. "You got changed?"

"I have to work tonight."

I scowled. "No."

"It'll only be for a few hours."

"I don't care."

His voice stayed soft as he said, "it's not up for discussion."

"Is there nothing I could do to convince you to stay?" I asked him with heavy eyes.

His own rolled back in his head in response. "You're going to be the death of me, you know that?"

"I plan to be."

"You can explain to Arthur why I wasn't there to pay off the coppers if he ends up in prison."

My lips smiled against Tommy's. "And just how descriptive should I be?"

"Very," he replied, kissing me.

But I could feel his mind was elsewhere. He'd been kind enough to remind me that married life would never suit him. This, languishing between bedsheets while his brothers risked their lives, would never be him, wounded or otherwise. And I'd seen enough of my own parents marriage to know if I tried to stop him, to change him, he would only resent me. End up hating me.

"Be sure to hurry back," I whispered. "I'll make it worth your while."

"I'll be home before daylight." He kissed me again, before sitting himself upright and putting his shoes on.

I wrapped myself in the bedsheets, more to fend off the cold than from embarrassment. Tommy had seen all of me now anyway. The thought sent blood rushing to my cheeks — and elsewhere. He gave me a quizzical look.

"Just thinking about this morning," I told him quietly.

"Ah. You shouldn't have said that."

He leaned forward and wrapped his arms around me, biting my lower lip as we dropped to the bed. My stomach lurched in the most pleasant way. Mustering all my concentration, I broke the kiss, holding his face in my hands.