Chapter 75

Butterflies danced in my stomach

I hadn't been nervous for Tommy before. Not like this, and definitely not since we'd been married.

But as I clasped my stockings and combed my waved hair, shortened to just below my shoulders now, I felt all jittery at the thought of seeing him. Like I was still a schoolgirl with a crush.

My heartbeat quickened as I dashed out to the car. I'd had to call someone at the Blinder house to find out which racecourse they were at, and mercifully it was close by.

"Where are you going, Miss?"

I tried to refrain myself from sighing. I'd forgotten about the dozen bodyguards Tommy had stationed around the place.

"I'm joining my husband at the racecourse." I gave a polite smile, sliding into the car before he could reply and hoping that would be the end of it.

But to no avail. No less than three cars tailed me before I'd made it even halfway down the drive.

"This is ridiculous," I muttered. I'd need to have words with him about this.

But my frustration still wasn't enough to calm my nerves as we reached the racecourse. Even as no less than six — yes, six — men shielded me on all sides as we made our way through the grounds and to the private box.

I remembered, with a flicker of excitement, that we owned this entire race track.

Loud laughter and chat stopped as though cut by a knife when we entered. Impatiently, I stepped past the guards. Arthur's jaw dropped, sandwich in his hand hovering in mid-air. John's eyes widened, before he broke out into a grin.

And, as always, Tommy was imperceptible. His reptilian gaze locked onto me, his eyebrows raised slightly. And then his eyes softened.

"Mrs Shelby," he said, stepping towards me. He wrapped his arm around my waist. My gown was only thin silk. His touch send electric volts down my spine.

"Alright, Kimber?" Arthur asked, placing a kiss on my cheek that earned him a warning glare from Tommy. "Been so long, we started to think Tommy'd done away with you."

"Keep talking, Arthur, I'll cut your tongue," Tommy threatened, but he gave the ghost of a smile.

I reached my arms out to return John's hug. "Are you okay?" I asked him. "Does it hurt?"

"Told the doctor I didn't like the pills he gave me, so he ordered me to drink more whiskey," John winked. "Can't argue with a doctor's orders, eh, Kimber? You'll have one?"

He moved to pour me a glass, but I stopped him. "Actually, I was hoping you and Arthur could place a few bets for me," I said. I pulled a couple hundred notes from my purse. "You'll know which ones of ours are going to win, I expect."