Chapter 76

"Happy birthday, Kimber

"Happy birthday, Kimber."

I stared in shock, first at the dining table laden with gifts, and then at my husband. He wrapped his arms around my waist and held me from behind.

"You got me presents?" I asked in disbelief.

He frowned. "Is that so unusual?"

I shook my head slowly. "My father never bothered. Not since I was a child. And last year..."

My words trailed off. My last birthday, I'd been so thick in the depression after losing Tommy, I couldn't even remember it. I vaguely recalled Michael handing me a box of chocolates. As I remembered, I realised how much I missed him.

"We'll be seeing everyone later," Tommy said, as though he read my thoughts. "But I wanted you to open these now."

I sat carefully at the table. The wrapping paper was smooth gold beneath my fingertips as I pulled the first present towards me — it was large, and very heavy.

"Did you have a secretary buy these?" I asked, smiling.

"You think I'd trust a secretary when it comes to you? No, Kimber. I've been a busy man." His eyes shone. "Open it."

I pulled the wrapping paper free, and gasped at what lay underneath. A new saddle — oiled black leather, buckles so polished and gleaming I could see my reflection in the strips of metal. Somehow, the leather didn't feel too stiff as I ran my fingers across it — it rippled beneath my touch like layers and layers of thick silk.

"I thought we could ride together this morning," Tommy said quietly. "You could try it."

I wrapped my arms around his thighs where he stood beside me and hugged him, creasing his work trousers. "I'd love that. And I love this."

He paused for a moment. "Go on," he said. "Open another."

My next present was a necklace. An intricate halo of Cartier diamonds, the type usually worn by some member of the Royal family. His fingers slid lightly over my skin as he fastened it at the nape of my neck.

And then came a new set of books, one for the ledgers and one a personal diary, both bound in high quality leather and engraved with Mrs Shelby. After that, a set of books about horse care and riding; a gold-trimmed deck of playing cards; a bottle of my favourite whiskey; a gorgeous new pistol that was closer to a work of art, with patterned engravings and a gold horse head on the chamber; and a silver hairbrush set, once again art nouveau.

"I can't believe this," I whispered, standing and kissing Tommy. I'd never been treated like this in all my life.

"I've told you, sweetheart." He deepened the kiss. "I'm going to give you everything." Before he got carried away with himself, he pulled away. "Last one," he handed me. "Open it."

It was a small and soft package. I tore away the paper, and was speechless as I held the gift delicately in my arms. A miniature silk dress. The type babies wore for christenings or portraits.

"I know it hasn't happened yet," he murmured into my ear. "But it will. I know it will."

I sighed into him, my eyes squeezing shut so I wouldn't cry. There were no words in all the language to express how much it meant to me. How much he meant to me. I still had butterflies every-time we touched, was still left breathless every-time I looked at him. It was still so hard to comprehend that he was well and truly mine, that he loved me too. I might have lived a million lifetimes and never been so lucky.

And it made everything worth it. All the shit we'd been through together, I'd have gone through it again if the alternative would be to lose him. To lose our life together.

"If you like, we could try make it happen now," he continued, running a hand down the length of my spine.

I bit my lip in a smile. "You've been extra insatiable since we started trying for another baby, you know that?"

"I commit to everything I do, Mrs Shelby," he said, lifting me so my legs wrapped around his hips, and carrying me through the house. "Particularly where you're concerned. Fuck it," he said in a low growl, pinning me to the wall right there in the hallway, his cheeks already flushed with need.

He kissed me hungrily, like it was the first and last time we'd ever be able to do so. The taste of him had me instantly ready, instantly craving him. A flame sparked in my navel and sizzled across my spine and between my legs.

He wasted no time in pulling my panties aside with his steady fingers, unbuckling his belt. Before I could do more than moan his name, he was already driving into me, not giving either of us a second to adjust.

He fucked me so hard I could feel the plaster crumbling from the wall behind me, could see the dust spilling in the air.

His name fell from my lips as I clamped tight around him, his hand at my throat to steady us at first, but judging from the hungry gaze in his eyes at the sight of his hand and his necklace, he stayed there and squeezed a moment longer because he liked it. He continued to slam into me as my eyes rolled back in my head and I rode out the bliss, coming down again.

His thumb circled my swollen clit. "Give me another, sweetheart," he said against my lips.

My back lifted from the wall as I did what he demanded, and he clutched me so close to his chest we could barely move against each other. I am him and he is me, I thought, as his pounding deepened and he poured into me, the hottest moans I've ever heard tumbling from his lips, as together we created new life.

Both drenched in a layer of sweat, we stayed pressed together. Our lips met and I could never get used to how good he tasted, his tongue pressed against my own.

"Bedroom," he breathlessly ordered. "Now."

I blinked. "Again?" My heart thudded in my chest, my legs clenching, excitement already building. "Thomas Shelby, you've got the endurance of a stallion."

"It's my wife's birthday," he murmured into my ear. "I plan to make her come at least three more times."

"In one day?" I squeaked.

He laughed softly. "No, love. In the next hour."