Chapter 56

I'd almost forgotten about Thomas Shelby's threat of revenge by the time I next saw him.

Almost.

Doing what I had to him had been worth it. It wasn't a bullet in his head as I'd been hoping these past months, but it was enough to make him feel some of the humiliation I'd felt. I'd slept soundly ever since, a small smile across my lips each time I recalled the sight of him cuffed to that chair.

I woke one morning and bathed, dressing in a silk gown that skimmed the tops of my knees and a woollen cardigan. I took my time waving my hair, drinking a cup of tea, and humming to myself. My mind was full of thoughts for my day ahead — I had an hour scheduled to answer letters, then meetings all afternoon. I needed to visit my father. I kept putting it off, not wanting to deal with him just yet.

When I was ready, I headed down to the sitting room with folders of letters and paperwork in my arms. I swung open the heavy mahogany door, hoping somebody had already started a fire.

The sight of Thomas Shelby waiting for me sent all my paperwork crashing to the floor.

He was leaning back against my desk, glass of whiskey in his hand. He'd rolled up his shirt sleeves, exposing the shadows of every rippling muscle of his forearms. His eyes glittered as he looked at me. I tried to swallow a lump in my throat. Suddenly I was very, very nervous.

Suddenly I was terrified.

"How did you get in here?" I asked, my voice cracking.

He appraised me with raised eyebrows. Cold glance. He was pissed. "Be a good girl for me, Kimber, and close the door."

I stayed frozen for a moment longer. That would leave me trapped here with him, and whatever he was going to do to me.

"Don't make matters worse for yourself," he warned.

I gulped. "Fine," I said, trying to act nonchalant. The door jittered a little in its frame, exposing my trembling hands.

I smoothed my palms on my dress. Glanced at the paperwork on the floor. Considered picking it all up, if only for something to do, somewhere to look that wasn't Thomas Shelby.

"Come here."

I lifted my chin as I walked across the room. Tommy sat down on the sofa, watched me make my way across to him. The silence was thick in the air. It was unbearable.

"I'll have to kill several of my men for letting you in," I told him.

A smile flitted across his lips. "Sweetheart, when I'm finished with you, you'll be in no state to kill anyone."

My lip trembled. He leaned back, still staring at me with predator eyes.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said. I took a step closer to him, trying to mask my nerves. I mustered a small piece of bravery. "Is this about your brothers finding you tied to a chair, with your cock hanging out?"

His arms shot out and before I knew it, I was bent over his lap. His arm held me across my lower back, pressing me to his lap. I struggled against him for a second, but in spite of myself, heat quickly gathered between my legs.

"They were late home, you know," Tommy said. His hand started to gently caress my ass, running seamlessly across the smooth silk of my gown. "Ten hours in the end... That's a lot of time to think. To imagine this moment. What I would do to you."

Peals of fear rippled through my abdomen, clenching into butterflies as he pushed the hem of my gown up to my hips, exposing my ass in my lace underwear. The cool air hit the back of my thighs, sending goosebumps that followed his touch.