Epilogue - Chapter 83

Fifty-five years later

It was not a sight Tommy ever expected to see. His own face, weathered and lined in his reflection. The face of old age.

He adjusted his tie. He felt a ghost's hands brush across his own, helping him, just as they had in life. A small smile crossed his lips. "I'll be with you soon, love."

He gathered the best bouquet of flowers he'd ever picked from the garden, and slipped a clink of metal into his coat pocket. The house was quiet. He stood for a moment. Then, he went and got into his car, and drove.

The cemetery was quiet. It was a mild spring day, with bees and butterflies in the air. He was an old man, walking slowly through the headstones, finally coming to a stop and laying down the flowers. He stood for a moment, head bowed, hands behind his back. Then he went and sat on the bench directly across from the grave. The one dedicated, For Mrs Shelby.

"It's been a year already," Tommy murmured. "I held up my end of the bargain. Stayed here, alone without you, to enjoy our great-grandchildren and set our affairs in order."

He took a deep, shaky breath, and lit a cigarette. "I like to think you're with Polly. And Arthur, and John. The three of you sat around a table together, just like in the olden days. A bottle of whiskey between you. Laughter. I like to think you're laughing. Even if it is at how shit I've become at tying a tie after a lifetime of you to do it for me. And tell Michael he better not try anything," Tommy warned. "Just because I'm not around."

He flicked his ash to the ground. "I know you went peaceful. In your sleep. In my arms. I know that's how you wanted to go. But now," Tommy took a shaky breath. "The doctors have told me I'm unwell. Cancer, they've said. They reckon it's all the smoking." He took a pointed drag of his cigarette. "But I think it's a sign. You telling me, it's alright now. I can come and be with you again. The kids are settled. They miss you like crazy. TJ and Warner went through with their partnership. They run a law firm now. Shelby and Shelby," he smiled. "Benedict's still racing horses, even at his age. His children are competing in the next Grand National. Who'd have thought, eh? Brains and horses in the family. Your blood and mine."

He sat in silence for a moment before continuing. "I've spoken with the doctor. I've got medication, to go peacefully in my sleep, just like you did. Don't want to be shitting all over the place, like Arthur was. Maids never could get the smell out of that house after." His lips twitched. "I'll be with you soon, love. We'll be together once more. We'll be young together again."

He stepped forward and gently slid the pair of handcuffs from his pocket. They'd long turned to rust, and he'd long lost the key, but he'd kept them. After all this time, a memento. He placed them softly on the grave.

A small patter of footsteps, followed by big ones. Tommy rose to his feet, smile spreading across his face. His sons hugged him in greeting, and their sons hugged each other as cousins, and their sons, Tommy's great-grandchildren, filled the air with play and laughter. Kimber would like that, he thought. She'd want them happy.

Young Henry came and sat on Tommy's lap. He was only just turned three, too young to have remembered his great-grandmother.

He turned to Tommy, in his peaky blinder cap, and with all the innocence of a child asked: "What was she like? Great-grandma."

Tommy tilted his head back, soaking up the rays of sun. "She was everything." He glanced at the empty spot on the ground, where he would soon be buried by side her. Where he would soon find peace in her arms once more.

"She was my Kimber."

THE END