Chapter 57

Tommy's lips continued to brush against my forehead, my cheek, my lips

Tommy's lips continued to brush against my forehead, my cheek, my lips. And as I felt myself leaning over that precipice, dizzy as I gazed at the chasm stretched below me, I clutched back at reality as hard as I could.

I was in love with him. Hopelessly, unconditionally.

It terrified me.

I felt myself stiffen as the high of our encounter slowly settled. My walls came down, walls from years of my father's restrictions. Walls from Tommy betraying me. From Michael. From Grubs.

I couldn't get hurt again. I thought I'd be fine, that I could handle this...

But the depth of the feelings I had for Tommy were brand new. Stronger than they had been before. I'd almost fallen apart the last time I left Tommy.

I couldn't risk letting it happen again.

"What's wrong?" He murmured, pulling back to assess me with his penetrating eyes.

My eyelashes fluttered as I searched for words. "This was a mistake."

He stared for a second. "Are you serious?"

I sat up, reaching for my gown and quickly dressing. "I think you should leave."

He was quiet. I couldn't turn around, couldn't bear to look at him. I slipped into a jumper and rubbed my arms for warmth. Each word between us struck me like a knife.

"Did I do something wrong?" He asked quietly.

I squeezed my eyes shut. "I just need space."

His strong arms wrapped around me, turning me, holding me by the chin and forcing me to look at him. "Talk to me, Kimber."

"Come on, Tom," I whispered. "You know these are just games we play."

"I love you," he told me. "I love you, and I fucking mean it." When I didn't answer, he spoke again. "What do you want from me, Kimber? Eh? To get down on my fucking knees? To beg you not to leave me?"

"Tom—"

"'Cause I fucking will. Is that what you want?"

We were interrupted by a knock at the door. Thank fucking god.

"Come in," I called.

One of the Boys entered. "There's a Polly Gray here to see you, Miss."

"Oh, fucking hell," Tommy muttered, before addressing the man. "Tell her she can fuck off."

He blinked. "She seems quite worked up already, Miss."

Under any other circumstances, I would not have wanted to speak with Polly, especially after everything with Michael. But right now, it was my only chance to get away from Tommy. And I knew if I stayed any longer I'd lose my resolve.