Chapter 41

It was my first time back in Birmingham

It was my first time back in Birmingham. I'd forgotten how dark the streets were.

But we didn't stay in the city, not for long at least, before collecting the debt a man owed us and heading to the racecourse. I checked, re-checked, and triple-checked the documentation for the races during the hour-long drive. Not a single horse owned by the Peaky Blinders. Each and every one accounted for to a different man or business.

That in itself was too suspicious.

"You'll have three bodyguards throughout the day," Michael told me in the car. He was lacking the ease and efficiency Roberts possessed as he rifled through papers to double check something. I supposed that only came after twenty years in the profession.

"Are you one of them?" I asked.

His lips twitched. "Afraid not. I'm books, not muscle."

"Speaking of, I noticed an imbalance on this month's sheet," I said. "Roberts's work, but I believe it falls to you now."

"You clearly know accounting yourself," Michael said.

"Hardly." I swallowed, suddenly flustered, the statement reminding me of the nights spent balancing books with Polly, glancing at the door every few minutes, praying for Tommy to come home.

Michael tilted his head at my reaction, but didn't pry further. "I'll get it sorted."

We sat in silence a few moments more. The racecourse came into view.

"The Peaky Blinders have been laying low," Michael said quietly. "We're not expecting a threat. You'll be safe, Miss."

"Thank you, Michael," I said in the most dismissive tone I could muster, hoping he'd take the hint and not mention the Shelby's again.

***

I spent time before the racing began shaking hands with friends and associates of my father. Some expressed condolences, others anger, others still indifference. I smiled and said the right things and reassured the owners of horses we'd be fixing. Their wives bared teeth as they smiled and eyed me with venom. I couldn't blame them. How strange to think I'd almost become one of them. In another life, I'd be on Thomas Shelby's arm, no more than a doll draped in satin for the men to look at. Staring with equal envy at another woman who was free of such a burden.

My bodyguards did not leave my side, three burly men, as we wound our way across the course and into our box. Bigger and grander than the one at Dorset. I struggled to shake that experience from my mind. Tommy's touch against mine, all those shots of whisky with his brothers...

A man came and whispered something in Michael's ear. His face instantly paled. The man left.

"What is it?" I asked, taking my seat. The first race was about to begin.

Michael raised a pair of binoculars to his eyes, scanning the crowd. He fixed on a point and swore before answering. "Thomas Shelby is here."

My blood cooled. "Give me those."