Chapter 72

It had all happened so fast

I waved goodbye to Karl as Ada closed the door. A small smile never left my face, all the way to the car. My hand rested on my belly which had just begun to protrude. A firm bump. It still felt so surreal.

I got into the car, humming happily. Tommy had told me to head straight to the Garrison, said they were all celebrating. I put the key in the ignition. My vision flickered to the rear view mirror, finding a dark pair of eyes glaring back at me.

The scream had barely left my throat when there was a sharp thud at the base of my neck, and my world became black stars.

I groaned as I woke sometime later, my vision blurry and my head pounding. It took a few moments, a jerk of horror, to realise I had been tied to a metal chair with rope. I tugged, my breath rising in panic behind the strip of cloth gagging me.

On the other side of the warehouse, a group of men sat playing cards around a wooden table. One of them noticed my frenzy. He gave a shit-eating grin, nudging the others. They all approached.

"Call Sabini," one of the men hissed. "And tell him our patience is wearing thin."

I tried to speak, made enough rational noise that one man pulled the cloth free from my mouth. I knew it would be futile to scream. Instead, I gave a cold smile, transmuting my fear into anger.

Into vengeance.

"I cannot wait to slide a knife into each and every one of you," I threatened. "Now tell me, while you still have time to think it through. Which one of you wants to die first?"

That earned me a sharp slap across the cheek. I felt my cheekbone swell, felt the bruise blooming across my skin.

"You're working for Sabini?" I asked quietly, panting. "He's too much of a fucking coward to even meet me himself?"

"He does not dirty himself with the likes of you," one man hissed.

I glared at him. "And yet here I am, tied up in one of his buildings. After he failed to assassinate me, might I add."

"Gag her again," a different man said. "I've had enough of this shit."

But the other grinned, pulling a thin, metal scalpel free. "I'd prefer to hear her screams."

My eyes widened at that. It didn't go unnoticed.

"We could start with her Achilles," he continued. "Slice them up so she can't run. Surely Sabini wouldn't berate us that."

"You heard his orders," the other man snapped. "She's not to be touched."

"And who's going to stop me?" He snarled.

I squeezed my eyes shut. Pain is temporary, I told myself, repeating it over and over like a chant. Whatever they did to my body, it could not touch my soul. As long as they left the baby unharmed. They didn't seem to know about that. Whatever they did, I would endure. I would heal. And then I would get my revenge.