Chapter 67

The first rays of morning light threatened to break through the cream curtains

The first rays of morning light threatened to break through the cream curtains. Tommy shifted beside me. Both of us awake, both breathing.

I had to tell him.

Instead, I got out of bed and left the room before he could say anything.

The layout of the house was still new to me, and it took me a while to find the bathroom. I locked the door — on any other day, I would have wanted nothing more than Tommy to join me, but I needed a moment to think.

I ran a hot bath. We had no soap yet, no supplies except for a quick shop for wedding provisions last night. But water would have to do.

I felt sick again.

Groaning, I bent over the toilet bowl, trying to be as quiet as I could. I stepped into the bath and sank beneath the water. The water lifted me, weightless. With eyes squeezed shut I had time to think.

My hands ran across my abdomen once more, resting at the bottom. A baby. I stifled a sob, but I wasn't sad. I loved Tommy so much, it was only natural — I would love any child of his, of ours, more than I could comprehend. We were together. We were married. He was mine and I was his.

It gave me courage.

The bedroom was empty when I returned. I took my time dressing, making the bed, pulling the curtains open. Only when I could delay it no longer did I venture out into the rest of the house, my thick socks muffling my footsteps across the polished wooden floors. A sizzling noise emanated through the hallways; I followed it until reaching the kitchen, smelling fresh bacon and coffee.

Tommy was wearing a three-piece suit that made it clear he'd be going to work today, plating up breakfast in the kitchen. He glanced at me as I entered, and as always, I had the distinct impression of being x-rayed by his gaze.

"Good morning, Mrs Shelby," he said, laying the plates on the table and coming in to kiss me.

He tasted of peppermint, no trace of cigarettes or whiskey yet.

"Good morning." I took my seat at the small wooden table. "You made us breakfast."

"I did," he agreed, sitting across from me. "The eggs are from our chickens. The bacon, we didn't end up using in our wedding food."

"It's delicious," I said, taking a bite. The food settled my stomach instantly. "Are you working today?" I asked.

"I need to prepare everyone for the wave of Birmingham Boys we're about to merge with," he said.

"They'll want to kill each other." I chewed nervously. "Maybe this wasn't a good idea."

"Of course it was a good idea. It was yours." Tommy reached for my hand across the table. He nodded to a large envelope beside us. "Open it."

I eyed him warily. "This can't be good."

"Open it, Mrs Shelby." His eyes twinkled. "It's your wedding present."