Chapter 77

It felt like everyone had gathered in the Garrison for a birthday celebration. Even Ada was there, saying she'd left Karl with Freddie for the night.

"This means shots, Kimber," Arthur said with raucous laughter. He thought for a moment as he brought a tray of shot glasses across from the bar. "Just how old are you turning, anyway?"

"Old enough to be offended," I said, knocking back the first glass he handed me.

Tommy placed a protective hand at the arch of my back. He grabbed a shot glass of his own and downed it back. Before we could recover from the burning across our lips, down our throats, Arthur was already pushing more into our hands.

"Fucking hell, Arthur, I'd like my wife to survive the night," Tommy said.

John did the next shot with us. "She's a Peaky Blinder now, Tom. If she can't keep up, that's her own fault."

I shoved him in the ribs, and he grinned. "You've done it now, Shelby," I warned. "Ten pounds says I can drink more than you by the end of the night."

"Kimber," Tommy warned.

John's smile widened. "I could buy a new thoroughbred with that. Alright, you've got yourself a deal."

Tommy pressed his fingers to his brow for a second, like warding off a headache.

"You love me," I reminded Tommy, accepting more shots from Arthur and placing one in Tommy's hand.

"That's one thing you've got right," he answered.

"And Polly's here!" Arthur exclaimed. "Come on, Pol, come celebrate. Michael..."

But whatever he whispered to Michael got lost in everyone else's chatter. I watched suspiciously as Arthur and Michael exchanged words, before sloping off to the bathroom. I frowned, but greeted Polly and gave her a hug, before excusing myself while the Shelby brothers began debating gin vs whiskey for exporting to America.

I slid into the men's bathroom, all embarrassment leaving me at the sight I found. Arthur nose-deep in cocaine at the sink, and Michael no better, with powder all over his nose and wide pupils.

I stilled in anger. "What. The. Fuck?" I asked.

Arthur sniffed guiltily. Michael seemed unable to meet my gaze.

"Ah. Kimber." Arthur shifted for a moment. "You want some?" He finally said, holding a rolled-up five pound note in my direction.

I slapped it out of his hand. "No, I bloody do not!" I seethed. I glared at them both for a moment. "Clean this shit up, before Tommy catches you. I'm shocked in you, Michael. And you should know better," I aimed at Arthur.

"Just a bit of fun," he mumbled, though he swiped away the rest, all the same.

"I didn't touch any," Michael said quickly, as though he'd been trying to think of an excuse and finally found one.

I folded my arms across my chest. "Then why does your nose look like a bakery donut?"

"Busted," Arthur muttered.

"Arthur, go keep the party going," I said. "I want to have a word with Michael."

Arthur looked all too pleased to leave, casting an apologetic glance to Michael as he went. Michael still couldn't look me in the eye, though he rubbed his sleeve against his nose a couple of times.

"How many times?" I sighed.

He blanched. "What?"

"I'm not stupid, Michael. I can tell this isn't your first time doing it."

He cleared his throat. I leaned back against the sink and after a moment, he leaned against the wall beside me.

"Keeps me sharp," he said. "I'm working long hours. Keeps me awake."

"You need less work? Is that it?"

"No," he said quickly, eyes widening. "No, no. I didn't mean it like that."

"Do I need to talk with Tommy? Reduce your workload."

"My workload's fine, miss. Not that it would make a difference," he added bitterly. "Tommy hates me."

I blinked in surprise at his words. "I know things have been... uncomfortable between you two," I said. "But you're family." I swallowed. "We all are."

"Don't remind me," he said in disgust.

"I miss you," I pressed on. "I miss when we'd work together each day. Even if you were fucking spying on me."

"How many times do I have to tell you—"

"I know, I know," I held my hands up. "Keeping me safe. But even so, I enjoyed our time together. I've been a bit lost without you," I admitted. "I've barely worked at all."

He thought for a moment, the tension leaving his face. "I'm guessing you'll want to kill Sabini before worrying about books or races."

"No," I said firmly. "In fact, the opposite." He turned to me with a puzzled look. "I don't just want to kill Sabini," I continued. "I want to fucking obliterate him. I want his own men turned against him. I want to steal every square metre of business from under him. I want him to lose everything. To feel like the piece of shit that he is, and know that I was the one who took it all from him. That I stole everything he cares about." I suddenly craved another whiskey shot. "Then, I'll kill him," I finished.

Michael nodded. "Sounds like a plan, Miss," he said. "Where do we start?"

"With Grubs." I smiled. "How would you feel about a business trip to Vienna?"