Tommy pov 6 - after being stabbed 1

Tommy paced the hospital hallway in fury. He was vaguely aware that he was still drenched in her blood. He was vaguely aware of his brothers sat on the chairs, glancing at him nervously.

"Can someone tell me what the fuck is going on?" Tommy asked, not bothering to hide the gun in his hand as a nurse finally emerged from the operating room.

Her eyes widened as she saw the weapon. "Are you family?" She asked, voice trembling.

"I'm her fucking husband." The last time Tommy had said Kimber was his wife, it had sent a column of shivers down his spine. Now, he only felt hollow. The words an empty reminder of the life they could have had, the life he'd fucked up for them.

The nurse softened a little. "We're doing everything we can," she said gently. "She's lost a lot of blood... gone into shock."

"But she'll live?" Tommy asked.

The nurse didn't answer. But Tommy saw it all over her face.

"They've asked me to let the morgue know... have them prepare. Just in case," she said quietly. She pressed a hand over Tommy's, still warily eyeing the gun. "I'm sorry."

He stood lifeless as she left. All the colours drained away from his surroundings. His fury and rage had dissipated, replaced with... with what? What could he name this emptiness, this nothing and everything, this numb feeling and burning, excruciating pain? He had nowhere to put it. Every flame in his body that had burned for Kimber now thirsted for fuel.

"It's not over yet, Tom," Arthur said quietly. "You know what she's like. She won't go without a fight."

***

Three torturous hours later, and the surgeon finally emerged from the room. Tommy moved in front of the man, blocking him from going anywhere until he spoke. Tommy's chest was hammering. His hands were slick with sweat. In the war, he'd been able to throw himself into action, focus on surviving. There was no surviving this.

"She's stable," the surgeon said. Tommy's stomach flipped. "We managed to keep her alive. She's lost a lot of blood. She'll need to be in with us for a couple of days, and she'll be heavily sedated, unable to talk. After day two, she can go home. We'll provide a nurse."

"No need," Tommy said. "My sister can take care of her."

The surgeon nodded. "Very well."

***

Tommy held Kimber in his arms the whole drive to Ada's house. She was still sleeping, still on heavy medication. Tommy had her lying across his lap, her head in his arms. He watched her, checking she was still breathing. He was shaken.

It had felt good to murder the man who did this to her. But not good enough. Tommy thought he'd been too quick, hadn't made him suffer for days on end, half-alive.

Some part of Tommy's brain had broken. A part he kept locked up and hidden away. Refused to allow to exist. It had cracked and broken, and was now being reforged. It was like the woman in his arms suddenly magnetised him to the earth, had suddenly become the most important thing that existed.

"What have you done to me?" He murmured, so quietly Ada could not hear from the driver's seat. "How did you get so deep under my skin, eh?"

He brushed strands of hair from her face.

He needed her to wake up.

***

Ada's books were all shit. He thumbed through the novels, listening intently for any movement or noise from Kimber's bed on the other side of the room. Finally, he pulled one of the few books that wasn't some political manifesto, and sat on the armchair beside the bed. He began to read, his voice quiet in the bedroom.